cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox closes and loses all my open tabs with version update

apostate
Making moves

I have opted to keep tabs open / reopen tabs that were open at window close, and this normally works ok. However, (at least most times) when there's a version update that comes with a "Firefox is updated" page opening at startup, Firefox only opens that tab/window and I lose all my precious tabs that were open in the window that was closed the last time I used FF. This has only happened after "Firefox view" was introduced. When this happens, I can never find those tabs in "recently closed windows" - they just disappear without a trace! I can sometimes find them in history, but only for tabs that have been active lately, and still it is a lot of unnecessary work as I can't always remember all the tabs that were open. This is quite frustrating! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jscher2000
Leader

There is a specific problem with Firefox 127.0 if you have a Primary Password set and you cancel the dialog at startup on the first run of Firefox 127. If that happened to you, please see this Mozilla Support thread:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1449541?page=2#answer-1657106

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

linmacwin
Making moves

It happens with me  three times the last months when firefox is updating in a W11Pro with arm-proc-setting: all my tabs gone. In the past never. I consider after using Firefox for almost 35 years to transfer to another browser, this way it's impossible to organize my things.

catpancake
Making moves

Are you able to find them in History -> Restore Previous Session? That always seems to work for me.

jscher2000
Leader

There is a specific problem with Firefox 127.0 if you have a Primary Password set and you cancel the dialog at startup on the first run of Firefox 127. If that happened to you, please see this Mozilla Support thread:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1449541?page=2#answer-1657106

danhoch6569
Making moves

This not leaving my tabs alone is BS.  I've written many times with no reply and not fixed.  My son tells me to switch to another browser, which I'm concidering  I've fought this battle too many time restoring this situation.  The programmers really don't give a crap; they are there for their own amusement.  I sometimes think about them sitting in a room asking each other "how can we screw our our consumers now"  It's a joke to them.  They have too many releases where as they should only be fixing problems.

rdorrill
Making moves

It has been happening to me for months! It's especially frustrating when the computer shuts down for its own update, or due to another problem, and then you're belatedly facing a new firefox window. I think once another application or click of a link opens a tab in firefox, the chance to 'reopen previous session' is discarded, and for some reason not saved in the background. You can go to your full history and reload that, but of course that's a horrible solution - as it will reopen everything you viewed the previous day, and will likely lose some old tabs. I know one can dig around in the session restore backups deep in the firefox folders, but it's frustrating that the browser doesn't know how to find and load those files itself. I've stared using the "Tab Session Manager" extension as a result, but it's not a perfect solution.

Really hoping the Firefox dev team can fix this frustrating bug soon!

Frusti
Making moves

I am sooo tired of using Firefox! Every 3 to 6 days completely unnecessary updates that delete or deactivate cookies and web access after installation! I will now eliminate this **bleep**ty program forever and get used to another one that is less annoying to my frustration!