Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

burai
Making moves

No please, ai is being stuffed everywhere and some of us want none of it. Please keep it entirely off of Firefox, this is a deal breaker for me

I would also add any implementation would greatly harm my trust in the foundation, Wich cannot be fixed by simply "going back"

WhyTheFU0K
Making moves

I use Firefox as my primary browser, on personal and work laptops as well as on mobile. 

The use of neural networks (it’s not technically AI) as search or answer services is morally deplorable and an environmental blight. Mozilla incorporating this mass misinformation feature is clearly due to cowing to peer pressure and capitalist obsession rather than implementation of a valuable or useful feature.

In other words: Neural Networks suck and are killing the world, and they don’t even do a good job. Stop ruining the only good browser left!!!

And don’t tell me it’s an optional feature. Living on the planet you’re killing isn’t optional. 

Yriu
Making moves

I do not like Generative AI as it is massively understood now and implemented, because its foundation is stolen and unfiltered data for the purpose of optimizing the "confident natural language response".

I accept machine learning or AI for other things, as have existed way before the current wave. ML trained over specific data (obtained legally and morally) for technical purposes is useful. A confident but usually wrong natural language model is the worst of all worlds.

Do us all a favor and reconsider this position.

Will 100% check forks from the community if this goes on.

Indigo_Beetle
Making moves

No nonono never never NEVER would I want this. I use firefox exactly because it's the only decent browser, but this would make it just as awful as the rest of them. I don't care about any reassurances that "it doesn't affect the security" or "it's optional", because having it introduced in the first place is already a huge red flag - if we ignore this now like you're basically asking us to, it's only going to lead to more changes where this "service" becomes gradually more obnoxious and exploiting towards the user.

At that point I might as well use any other browser because what benefit is there left in using firefox specifically? You should not forget about prioritizing user experience over insidious tech trends.

Pyrelight
Making moves

How many people do you think are using Firefox specifically because it is supposed to not be subjected to the **bleep** Google and everyone else has become, and that ai might be part of that? If ai is added to the built in spellchecker I'm going to be slightly pissed.

I don't like the idea of adding ai in at all to Firefox, but if you must, please please please make a toggle that actually works that preserves privacy and functionality for the user. I'm here to avoid ai bull as much as possible.

Maycelium
Making moves

I advise AGAINST implementing an AI feature. Guys. C'mon. I know that AI is The Thing and there's a lot of pressure to add it so that you stay current and in with the times, but do not. Stay strong, stay true. Do not add ai. Firefox is known as the browser that doesn't have any bull and doesn't take advantage of its users. That's your reputation. 

admin jon what the hell are you doing to the comments here, that's hella suspicious

m0ss_
Making moves

Seriously if you do this I'm leaving and never looking back. AI tech in its current iteration is a plague to the tech community and I'm sick of it ruining everything I love.

grim
Making moves

Please don't add AI features whatsoever. As others have said, it's detrimental to our real-world environment and doesn't add features we can't do already (and the ones it claims to be able to do it's extremely bad at and is not a comparable replacement for human work.)

Firefox is the ONE browser I actually like using and trust to respect my privacy and provide a good experience. The addition of AI features would completely shatter my trust in Mozilla.

Iorveth
Making moves

Firefox needs to modernize without loosing its core values. I suggest implementing an integration with opensource local AI models like the phi3, which is real powerful and optimized to run locally. As an alternative, integration with the duckduckgo anonymised chat implementation, to run LLMs remotely but with less of a privacy hit.

abardenhagen
Making moves

I will not even bother to try out the feature because I do not want any sort of Ai service to be installed on Firefox. Literally no one who uses Firefox wants Ai services on Firefox. It's a waste of energy, it's inaccurate, and is pointless in the extreme.

endgamesyndrome
Making moves

This is the polar opposite of what your users want. Many of us use Firefox because you're one of the only main browsers that hasn't gone to hell with the introduction of AI. I want to be able to FIND THE THINGS I SEARCH FOR, and in every single other browser that's integrated AI, search result quality plummets. That doesn't even touch on security and environmental concerns. If AI is added to Firefox, I will be deleting it from all my devices and finding something else.

przxqgl
Making moves

NO! 🤬

Harley
Making moves

No thank you

Italypasta
Making moves

Incredibly disappointed that this addition has even been considered, let alone available.

veroniche
Making moves

please firefox you my only ho dont do this 😭

Kingm4ry
Making moves

NO ONE i mean LITERALLY NO ONE wants this feature, up to this point Firefox was the only usable browser without AI garbage, we don't need another Chrome with useless data-mining slop.

barzi
Making moves

I'm glad you are being thoughtful about privacy and user experience (i.e. opt-in instead of opt-out), but I genuinely do not understand the purpose of such thing in a browser.
I've read the referenced blog post and I still don't understand, if it's not aimed to be a core part (which you can see a lot of people are against), why should it be part of Firefox. Why cannot it be an add-on (at best) for interested people?

I don't know if you've published somewhere else what is you destination for doing this.(Link me or tell me if you have one). Because at this point it seems like AI for AI sake.

A246X48
Making moves

Please do not add AI to Firefox.

AI will not attract new users, nor make Firefox a more enjoyable experience. All it will accomplish is the isolation of existing users, either for privacy reasons, or performance reasons, and a massive sink of money and resources that will ultimately result in zero net benefit.

stinkee
Making moves

PLEASE NO

Pingu_UwU
Making moves

I would prefer to not have any AI tools in my browser. I have no need for summarizing articles, or a bot to chat with.

InvisibleSpork
Making moves

I don't want any AI here. I've seen enough AI creep to know that "optional AI" is a foot in the door strategy, and then it becomes a non-optional part of the user interface but you "don't have to use it," and then it becomes something you can't opt out of sharing data with, and then there are constant pushes and popups and redirects to use it and replace regular searches with asking AI and on and on. (This isn't even touching on the fact that whenever I've had to use AI it's just. Not good at what it claims to do. Whatever option it's replacing was better, and I have no reason to believe that this time, oh THIS time it's gonna be different we swear.)

If I wanted to be part of this AI bubble I would use chrome and gemini or whatever. The reason I use firefox is because it's NOT part of this kind of trend. It's already so easy to access AI if that is what I choose to do. It's almost unavoidable. What's hard is finding a place that's NOT trying to force me into using it. In my opinion that's what firefox is offering that sets it apart from other browsers.

Fyi; Vivaldi has spoken out against using "ai" in their browser. But it's Chromium based.....

Hannahuha
Making moves

Please do NOT do this. Firefox has been the one safe place on the internet to shelter from the dangerous misinformation that AI inherently brings. You will lose respect, users, and money from this endeavor, even if it’s an “opt-in” option now. Save yourself the trouble—AI is already on its way out. Don’t hop on a train to nowhere just because it’s trending.

CassieT45
Making moves

Please DO NOT do this. Terrible decision. All around **bleep**ty idea 

goopygh0st
Making moves

NO. i am so tired of AI being shoved at me by every other corporation. i don't want it on my firefox, this **bleep** is why i left google chrome.

CharlieGoLight
Making moves

Hello, yes, I understand the temptation to utilize AI like many other browsers and companies are doing.

I'm begging you as a user to please not implement it. I have loved everything Firefox has provided for me and others, how it's stood head and shoulders above everyone else in having ethics and a backbone and being user-first.

So to maintain that, I'm asking you to not implement AI at all.

Thank you

DraconicNEO
Making moves

I don't want AI integrated in the browser, AI comes with so many problems from ethical and environmental standpoints. In addition AI will just make the browser heavier and use more System resources. We need to lower Firefox's resource usage, not increase it with garbage that real and sensible people do not care about.
AI is a trend, we need to work on making Firefox better, not jumping on Trends.

skulltaffy
Making moves

Joining the chorus of "no, hell no, this is the most out-of-touch thing you could try" here. It's unbelievable that Mozilla would consider this in the first place. If this gets forced through I'm either finding a way to block my Firefox install from ever updating, or finding a different browser. I don't care that it's optional: I object to it being included in the browser at all.

Like, to reiterate here: I finally created a Firefox account purely to object to this, and I hate making accounts for things. That should say a lot.

literally same. Despise having to sign in and make accounts to comment on things but like, this sucks so bad I had to

Same. I wonder how many of us created accounts to comment on the subject because we all hate genAI/LLMs so much. It’s such a stupid idea and no one at Mozilla seems to listen 

I did! Watching the comments pour in after I commented there seemed to be a lot of (new user) tags so, a lot of us?

Cinnamon
Making moves

Please don't.

khalid_salad
Making moves

I cancelled my recurring monthly donation over the Privacy Preserving Attribution fiasco. I guess now I will find another browser.

CaptDedEyes
Making moves

Right now, the last thing I would want to see in this web browser is generative AI support. These systems are connected to a widespread power & water consumption that's far greater than what the people consume on their own. And the AI is only capable of processing regurgitating information, which takes the fun out of reading things.

Knock it off. I never wanna see another piece of garbage like this ever again.

risingstars
Making moves

Please do not fully implement this; no one likes AI "features", and if they do their opinion is not worth the air it took to speak it. As with other company's so-called "helpful" AI "features", this will only fail catastrophically, and does no good whatsoever. AI is not needed! You are actively driving away users from using your service by implementing this at all, even if it's an optional experiment right now.

If Firefox implements this fully I will be deleting it from my computer and mobile device. I'm totally fine with switching to some other search engine if this one starts being just as horrible as any other one.

wow I was completely incoherent, but my message is still the same: no AI, or else I fly (as in leave)

Beebear
Making moves

No!