Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,150 REPLIES 3,150

juniperberry
Making moves

Completely uninterested, sorry. I've had my work scraped for generative AI and it took almost two years to get to a neutral place about it and I still viscerally dislike it. Thanks for not making this opt-out but I have no interest in this at all. Really disappointed to see Mozilla going in this direction.

-c
Making moves

Well why don't I just switch back to Chrome, then?

biostean
Making moves

please dont do that, thanks ❤️ i really hate ai and i think theres already plenty of programs out there, we dont need more

Void6
Making moves

Considering all the issues that arise when using ai in a browser, such as incorrect information, it would be better not to include it.

e521
Making moves

No ai!

Marina
Making moves

No no no no no no no

cookie
Making moves

Please don't.

NoMythsOutside
Making moves

Despite what tech companies want people to believe, most people just don't like this stuff.

We really don't need to make uploading misinformation and low quality content on the web easier.

Uiop
Making moves

The person who came up with this idea should no longer be un charge of coming up with ideas.

PrismFoxFire44
Making moves

If ai is added I will delete everything i have stored in firefox, delete the browser, and add it to my ever growing list of disappointments that have added ai. I will find wvery single person i have ever told to use firefox and tell them to remove it as their browser. Then apologize for ever recommending firefox in the first place. Please do not add ai. i like firefox. even with it slowing down my computer a bit. the addons are all so lovely

Lesser_Cowboy
Making moves

Don't do it. I have seen this function on many other browsers and none of them are useful. It is one more obstacle to finding accurate information on the internet and I am sick of it. 

Paledivine
Making moves

Absolutely not. I started using Firefox to get away from the ai garbage on google chrome. I will find an alternative if you ruin firefox. Ai has no place in my life and if you are brain dead enough to still add this it had better be opt in not opt out. 

FillerName
Making moves

LLM use is not something I want in a browser. People who want to use them can already access them elsewhere, whereas I want nothing to do with them. I find the fact that this is being tested off-putting and the lack of genuine feedback on the part of Mardak to be somewhat insulting. Keep it in an extension if you have to go this route and don't claim that it's impossible because extensions can't do enough. If that's the problem, your company has the ability to solve it. I do not want an LLM model hosted elsewhere to have access to my data and I do not want to host one on my own computer. I am going to search for alternative browsers who do not push "AI" on users because I do not trust that you will listen to negative feedback.

Innuwu
Making moves

Just no. Please. 

Kittydoesstuff
Making moves

This is one of the few things that would make me stop using Firefox after 10+ years of using it & I would urge other long-time users like my mother, who is the one the introduced it to me & installed it on my first computer to switch to a broswer that does not include AI.

AI has a large ecological cost, and often presents misinformation when asked, which could be extremely dangerous in some cases, this misinformation happens due to a mix of poor data pools which can include even fictional sources, it also happens because AI don't understand the words we use, their model is more based off language structure, here's a article about that, and I ask if you read it, picture what would happen if someone for example asked a AI if a allergen was present and the AI produced a false negative to it's presence because it didn't actually "know" what food or allgen was being talked about.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/08/27/why-ai-cant-spell-strawberry/

Jmo
Making moves

No. Please do not. 

flyonthewall
Making moves

Please don’t. This is literally one of the reasons I choose Firefox over all other browsers. Stop forcing crappy water-guzzling “AI services” down our throats at every opportunity—if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

LGW
Making moves

For the love of god no

ToeSucker416
Making moves

C'mon, man. Firefox's best selling point is that it keeps trends like this at an arm's length. The thing that drew me and many others to Firefox was that as others "innovated" in inconvenient ways that made them a pain to use, Firefox stayed the course, and even prioritized user QoL. Don't succumb to FOMO, because there's nothing to miss out on.

katerc
Making moves

AI is an absolute scourge of plagiarism and theft. If AI is permanent added, I will delete this browser.

OnyxaAstra
Making moves

Don't do this.

probablylug
Making moves

No.
The fact this was seen as a good idea is baffling.

stefano
Making moves

Mozilla, do you want to use AI in firefox?

then use AI to enhance existing firefox functionality,  for example pocket: it keeps showing me crap stupid articles, that have nothing to do with my interests.

so use AI, in a privacy preserving way (data never leaves my device) to scan my interests, by looking at the pages I visit, and then recommend similar pages on the internet (again, no data about my interests leaves my device).

this is an acceptable use of AI.

Dig
Making moves

Please absolutely not, say no to ai

capitalj
Making moves

I use Firefox to get away from AI. I don't care if it's optional I just don't want my last bastion of non-AI browsing to be threatened. Please.

French_Lunatic
Making moves

Please don't even implement this "feature" at all. I've left Edge behind because of its constant shelling of its so-called artificial "intelligence" "tools". Generative AI and the likes are not something browsers need, and they produce a ton of waste even with a single roll. Please don't ruin Firefox. I don't want to have to switch browsers again.

valoriePH
Making moves

When I moved to Firefox recently, for the first time since the early 2010s, I was not willing to accept the changes from Manifest v3 enforcement on other browsers' extensions. Myself, and many others, trusted Mozilla to increase their focus on developing their flagship browser.

As my opinion stands with others here, I fail to recognize how adding generative media tools, and other AI-generated features would benefit the common user of Firefox. We've seen several challenges that generative media is copyright infringement, and not only am I worried that Mozilla is doing something that is dangerous from a legal standpoint, I'm also worried that Mozilla has taken a lesser priority on our feedback.

Please reconsider adding this. In my eyes, it's wasteful and mostly benefits bad actors to have more accessible tools to steal others work and spread misinformation online. It is, as the tags say, out of touch with the majority of your user base, including myself.

EJG913
Making moves

I have not tried this feature. I will not try this feature, now or ever. NO AI, NO QUESTION.

RosieMaple
Making moves

I don’t think there’s really anything I can say that hasn’t already been said. No. Absolutely not. You could make a plugin for it, but do NOT make it a built in feature.

Charr
Making moves

Genuinely I cannot think of a single reason why this would be necessary or how it would improve anything, nobody likes AI, nobody wants it, I have no idea how so many companies have gaslit themselves into thinking that AI is a good thing.

Solanum
Making moves

Stop

dreamhaze
Making moves

Absolutely not.

cosmicsheepy
Making moves

PLEASE NO! Please no don't go down the tech bro AI toilet! Don't infect the only good web browser left with an outlet to the mediocre slop machine!

nbdy
Making moves

I do not want AI features integrated into my browser. It's annoying bloatware that adds nothing of use

Tombington
Making moves

Including AI services is one of a incredibly small number of things that's making me consider another browser.

Faelanel
Making moves

Terrible idea, get it away from me, moving to no Internet ever, dear god, what the hell.

Dana345
Making moves

@asafko wrote:

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

Hello,

AI can be an useful tool in certain fields, but the way we have seen it appear in browsers in the last months is far from convenient or ethical. I'm concerned about privacy, what your browser stands for, becoming compromised because of this new feature. The spread of misinformation that usually comes with automatically generated AI answers is also an issue. The ecological impact the servers will have is another. And your model, will it too be trained on the work of small writers and artists that didn't consent to have their already precarious job situation made even more difficult?

I do like Firefox, but if this is implemented I will find an alternative.

Thank you.

Ñeñe
Making moves

Terrible idea. I think that, at this point, it is not necessary to explain why. Please, don't do this.

carro179
Making moves

jesus christ NO. **bleep** AI. I DON'T WANT IT IMPLEMENTED ON FIREFOX. I DON'T WANT ANY CHATGPT OR CHATGPT-LIKES ON ANY OFY SOFTWARE

A move like this WILL make me move browsers

I made an account purely for this. That's how strongly I feel about it