Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

faaaay
Making moves

please dont

goober
Making moves

I use Firefox to avoid this **bleep** Mozilla, don't you dare!

gmc
Making moves

No.

I stopped using firefox because of the baked-in adtech. I completely wiped firefox from all my systems because your AI 'experiment'.

AI is actively making the internet and the world a worse place. It gives false and incorrect information. It burns up the planet's resources at an alarming rate in a time where we least can afford this.

You've completed your decline in moral bankruptcy and are now on the same level as google, microsoft and all the other techbro farms.

All we asked for was a decent browser, and all you gave us was an increasingly en**bleep**ified experience.

TA
Making moves

Kind of useless and the fact that it breaks copy/paste for me on Windows makes it terrible.  I literally got so angry about firefox not working anymore with copy/paste that I almost threw my mouse across the room.  Yes, I have a problem, but the AI Feature is meh at best and a disaster at worst.

LexYeen
Making moves

No. Remove it. Delete it. I do not want machine learning in any web browser for any reason. It wastes nothing but time and electricity. Please, for the love of whatever you hold dear and/or holy, reverse course on machine learning. This is not what I came to Firefox for.

mysteriousjelly
Making moves

Please add an option to add "Custom prompts" in the settings.
IT WOULD MAKE IT HELLA BETTER!!

dpaek91
Making moves

NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! JUST NO.

AI is literally ruining the internet and is just an absolute waste of the resources it takes to keep it running.

JUST NO.

Why tho, it'd help answering questions while reading articles. Short, crisp and quick on the same page. Why's everyone so against it

The biggest one is that AI doesn't -know- anything. It just takes common search results and makes a guess.  Many times those guesses are wrong.

AI is also actively taking jobs from artists and other creators. It's cheaper but does a horrible job.

There are also issues with how much power consumption it takes to develop and run AI. Many of these data centers use as much energy as a city!

AI in its current state has bad performance, is bad for creatives, and is bad for the environment.

My #1 concern when it comes to integrating AI into something like a browser is that I fundamentally do not trust any company to be responsible when it comes to sucking up huge quantities of user data and protecting user privacy. Almost every genAI model was trained on stolen data or data used without the permission/awareness of its creator. And the companies making these models are untrustworthy when it comes to disclosing where they get their training data and how they're using user data they collect. We've already seen incredibly invasive **bleep** like Microsoft's Recall that will feed every single thing you do or type on your computer into their AI model training pipeline. Every prompt or query you enter into an AI chatbot becomes data for it to learn from.

Not to mention the detrimental effect of massive AI datacenters on our climate. For example.

DalistNirgendwo
Making moves

NO

Willhart
Making moves

It is nice for people who use it.

桃乐丝
Making moves

I'm already suffering from AI exhaustion. I'll also be looking up how to lock my firefox version if this gets implemented.

missylafleur
Making moves

These optional things to 'try out' tend to become permanent things that we can no longer opt out of. AI features will truly make me look at using another browser.

The use of AI is unrefined to the point of being a hazard to those seeking genuine help and information. It's currently being used to cheaply replace paid creative roles across the world. The energy consumption tied to the development and usage of AI is unethical as well.

Please don't go down this road.

wvaishali
Making moves

I do not think AI would be a useful addition to Firefox in the least. Would very much prefer to not have this, especially given how ethically problematic AI is in how it is trained and how it effects the environment. I also believe that it would increase the problem of misinformation. So, even if optional, I don't see any up-sides to this new feature.

Dyscomancer
Making moves

Firefox has been my single refuge on the internet from the rapid and forced implementation of all this AI nonsense to every single product and application. I am PLEADING that you reconsider this addition, and that you continue to allow Firefox to act as an oasis for people who do not want to deal with every company on planet earth forcing this stuff down our throats.

sketchyscavenge
Making moves

I have no interest in this feature. Mozilla's lack of involvement with AI or cryptocurrency is why I use this browser. If this feature is implemented I will switch to an independent browser that does not support AI.

jjjfirefox
Making moves

Not interested in AI integration with the browser.

Nobody_of_note
Making moves

Nah, if AI gets added I'll be dropping Firefox along with the Mozilla services I pay for.  Doesn't matter if it has an off switch, we all know that gets removed later.

Deglorath
Making moves

GenAI is not something I ever want to see in Firefox, not only is GenAi horrible for the environment, it is rarely much more effective than standard models as is, and thus far has shown to be much more prone to misinformation.

You've been doing so well Mozilla, please don't fall down the GenAI well of trash.

sougitsune
Making moves

Nowadays it seems like AI is already forcefully built into everything else on the web. I use Firefox because it's *not* Google/Microsoft/Apple/other BS tech company. Even as an optional feature it's symbolic of feature creep, and I want no part of it. AI is currently in a state too premature to be useful, it's just being implemented everywhere because it's trendy, and it's absolutely ruining the Internet right now (and the environment, let's not forget *that* fun addition to the equation).

Another vote for "no to AI" in Firefox.

foxglovefaun
Making moves

no. please.

the internet is becoming more useless with every new introduction of this "AI" stuff. Please. Firefox is one of the only places left where i dont have "AI" being shoved down my throat. Don't be like the other bastards and outlive them instead. Please exist outside and beyond this POS era of the Mediocre Machine, do the right thing, and put humans and human users first.

please please i am begging for real

DaCo
Making moves

In my experience, AI in search engines are worse than useless and I actively avoid using them. It's a nice way to quicken the spread of misinformation.

Rose22
Making moves

do not do this. i will stop using firefox if you do.

excession
Making moves

Please remove this

red404
Making moves

no!!

stayglamorous
Making moves

Please, do not integrate any AI. It has pretty bad environmental effects, and basically just spits out word salad that it thinks you want based on how often words are seen together. Adding AI would disappoint a large amount of users.

MadeThisToMoan
Making moves

Hi! If you do this, I will immediately change browser to someone else who doesn't have LLMs involved in their browser. No. Take it away. Under no circumstances should this be here. This will cause you to lose users. Do not do it.

gruber4
Making moves

Mozilla has truly lost their way if they think AI should be integrated in Firefox. Absolutely NOT. It goes against everything I want from Firefox. We want privacy and customisation not anti-privacy AI-slop which was created with stolen work and worsens climate change. Stop trying to be chrome. Getting very sick of Firefox trying to be the same mainstream garbage that we're use firefox to avoid. AI is a plague.

oxbonkus
Making moves

i'm not sure why something so antithetical to the long-held values mozilla has espoused is being considered like this. the environmental impact, the waste of energy and computer components, the security issues, the theft of others' work, the gross misinformation--any one of these should be enough to prevent you from making this decision in the first place. as it's not, i can only hope the financial impact of the number of people who will leave for another browser will do what ethics is not.

i'm ABSOLUTELY going to be one of those people, if it wasn't clear.

AzureCore
Making moves

Can we stop with the idea that this A.I. is something the users want? Don't want it, will never need it. End of Story.

Lulamoon
Making moves

Please Please dont implement or try this.

LuckyHodgepodge
Making moves

Oh please no. AI is such a mess, expensive garbage in my opinion. Please keep it away from my beloved Firefox.

CobwebC
Making moves

Absolutely not. Why do you want to waste money on something that's actively destructive to the environment and detrimental to user experience? Just hire people to answer questions instead of shelling out for a hallucinating language-approximation machine that has no functional concept of what facts are.

looter
Making moves

PLEASE NO THIS IS WHERE I GO TO AVOID AI

IronSeaweed
Making moves

No ai please and thank you! Do not want any of that garbage! Ranges from dubiously correct to actively harmful!

Not-here-for-lo
Making moves

PLEASE don't. You can always add an extension to the browser if you ever need one. I use Firefox specifically BECAUSE it doesn't have AI interfaces. PLEASE DON'T. It's useless!!

Lilium_Wolcott
Making moves

Absolutely not. No AI!! We don't need it, and especially not shoved into our browser.

bookwormy
Making moves

Please no

rsharplaughs
Making moves

Please do not implement AI into this browser. I do not want or need "helpful" features that do not actually do any substantive work that I was already going to do and do better. I do not want my search data or settings or other data points potentially collected or otherwise known about from an AI company or third party. I do not want AI involved in any way with my Firefox experience as a user. This project has been really really important for maintaining privacy and security for the masses--we do not want it to begin to erode with AI, which is what will happen, because that is all AI does, erode working structures and experiences. Please do not implement AI into Firefox.