cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "Privacy-Preserving Attribution" ad measurement scheme from Firefox

Quackles
Making moves

Firefox 128 adds a new 'feature': "Privacy-Preserving Attribution", per https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/privacy-preserving-attribution, where the Firefox browser cooperates with advertisers to find a way to track ad performance without individually spilling the beans on an individual's browsing history.

The intent behind this feature is to provide an alternative to ad tracking; however, this approach is misguided. First, advertisers will take every tracking method they can get, including this one. The rise of this one would not stop them from tracking elsewhere. Second, this proposal assumes that advertisers have a right to see the performance of their online ads; also not the case.

Instead of this, Mozilla should work on beefing up its native tracking protection to mitigate every kind of tracking it possibly can, even inhibiting the display of ads entirely if it is necessary to do so.

Please, remove "Privacy-Preserving Attribution" from Firefox.

43 REPLIES 43

wutongtaiwan
Familiar face

Mozilla has violated the European Union's GDPR law, and maybe reporting it will have an unexpected effect, and maybe Mozilla will correct its mistake at that time

Elthesensai
Making moves

I agree. One of the reasons I still use Safari. I want to support Firefox but this move looks like they’re supporting AD companies tracking you. 

Marvhew
Making moves

If you have opted out, check it again. I believe that firefox opted me back in by itself. I'm not 100% sure about it so check for yourselves.

Brayden5234
Making moves

Obviously, I opted-out of this feature when it was first introduced. Now, after the latest version of Firefox, v129, it was re-enabled by default. This is unacceptable. I'd strongly recommend everyone else to double check as well.