Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,150 REPLIES 3,150

AA3
Making moves

If I wanted to use AI, I would use a site I already trust that specializes in it. I would not use this in-browser feature because it's completely and utterly redundant: someone who is interested in AI will likely have something they'd rather use than something in-browser, and anyone who wants to avoid AI would have to put up with it taking up space/memory in the sidebar. I already deal with that plenty from the useless CoPilot AI I can't uninstall, and it just makes me hate it all the more.

There are zero upsides to this feature implementation, do not go through with it.

raster
Making moves

I do not want to see any AI in Mozilla products. If it does get added I want a way to completely disable it.

SleepyCatten
Making moves

No. Just no. We don't want "AI" (machine learning). We don't want NFTs, crypto, or anything else that the "tech bros" think are cool. We don't want this: we want QOL things like the ability to allow us to enable dark mode (via Dark Reader) on the add-ons page! (Seriously! How do you STILL NOT have a dark mode option on that page and why can't you AT LEAST give Dark Reader or similar vetted add-ons access to it?!) Focus on bug fixes and QOL issues please!!!

slightly offtopic but there is a way to enable dark reader on "restricted" mozilla pages, check the instructions from the dev: https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader/blob/main/README.md#enable-dark-reader-on-restricted-pages-...

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much 🥰

You are being ironic? Looking at the comments, no one seems to want this 🙂

elmotriste
Making moves

Please don't put AI on Firefox, there's already too many generative AI tools everywhere, most of it is terrible and the energy and water needed to run those machines is just unbearable, entire regions get depleted of drinking water for what? Getting a bad picture of a chicken on the Moon? That's what artists are for.

Please don't become another great software turned garbage because of generative AI being pushed down our throats.

bluestarultor
Making moves

Not that you should need me to point this out, but just reading 3 extensions of this thread, it sounds like you have a backlash on your hands and a small smattering of enablers. I've already turned things off in about:config, but in case nobody else raised any of the reasons WHY adding an LLM is unwanted:

• The environmental impact of the electricity used to train them is more than that used by previous winner blockchain.
  • LIKE blockchain, generative AI is a solution looking for a problem and the novelty is going to wear off very quickly and be the next crash when the average person realizes that...
  • As a technology, it is fundamentally incapable of solving the problem it claims to.  LLMs have been in the news PLENTY for that in the past year, including the medical call center that fired their staff and within a week had an LLM giving deadly advice to patients.  There are also hilariously incorrect search results based on old joke posts, that one guy who almost ended his family with botulism following an AI recipe, all manner of AI recipes that simply don't work, the crochet community absolutely LIVID at the flood of patterns that don't work, the writing magazine that shut down because they were so flooded with AI slop they couldn't sort through it all, AND MORE!
  • Unless your team has solved the problem of LLMs fundamentally not understanding context, the "summarize" function you're touting is actually a "shorten" function that someone has recently made waves pointing out can as much as miss the main point of what it was told to summarize.
  • Let's not forget all of the biggest players are running around in a panic because generative AI as a whole is already eating its own tail.  They're turning to partnerships to Hoover up as much human "content" as possible because the slop is already starting to poison newer models.  Humans cannot create FAST enough because the people using this stuff are gleefully having it churn out content at impossible rates.  So that really doesn't bode well when it comes to Firefox not turning into Google and feeding these things everything we do, as others have noted.  The only way to collect human content at this point is to mine it from what is essentially still private.

I could go on, but you're putting your eggs in a basket whose bottom is going to fall out soon because it fundamentally doesn't work.

Kyrylys
Making moves

No. I use firefox because the AI is not implemented yet.

AI sucks. It's not reliable and comsumes a LOT of energy and water. We are on a climate alert.

So no. No Ai products for me.

buggaboo
Making moves

dont do it! it is a bad idea for so so so many reasons!!!

Sdnimm543
Making moves

I do not believe it would be an effective use of resources. Generative AI is a crooked hammer that is an environmental waste and a resource sink. I doubt its value or effectiveness, and I do not believe Mozilla would be an effective competitor to the existing AI companies if it did have value. I don't want the makers of my web browser to get bogged down in it.

symphorine
Making moves

Please don't integrate AI into firefox. There are huge environmental concerns attached and it is useless at performing any kind of browsing query tasks. Don't give into the AI trend when it brings only bad reputation for you.

5hrimbo
Making moves

No thanks! I use Firefox bc its one of the only browsers without an AI button

tcoff
Making moves

Say no to AI!

gongl3
Making moves

Hey don't add AI! It's dumb and bad. Like literally, it's dumb; see google search AI telling people to eat rocks. And it's bad; see how it consumes comical and absurd amounts of electricity. So don't add AI. It'll make me and lots of others sad and disapointed. The worlds got enough of those things already.

htewing
Making moves

no absolutely not, I swapped from Chrome partially because of AI bull**bleep**. It's highly unpopular and no one wants it

user8008s
Making moves

Terrible idea, horrible. The only reason I moved to Firefox was its uniqueness to staying away from things such as AI or collecting data like chrome. I used to promote Firefox to people I know, now? I don't know if i could do that.

out of touch really to even suggest this knowing how much contempt the people have over AI and the security issues it has, etc. So no. Do not do this. I am saying it here and now, and I'm awfully disappointed this is being considered 😕

daisykaboom
Making moves

NONNO NO NO NONOOONONO

SunnyyOmori
Making moves

please do not. generative ai is the scum of the earth

OzC
Making moves

If this is about generative AI, I advise against it. Aside from the environmental waste, and that generative AI as it is today is, at best, extremely more limited than the developers and investors push, I also fear a bloody legal war in its near future, and I don’t expect it to survive. As for who exactly will get roped into it, it’s a bit early to say, but my judgment says to keep your distance at least until some legal decisions have been made. 

TheGuy
Making moves

That sounds SO terrible

Maldefekt
Making moves

No ai. Please for the love of all things, no more f@#^$ing AI. 

It's not even "real" artificial intelligence! It's just general aftertaste of other people's responses. (Which, if enough people are wrong, the answers will be wrong, too.) 

I'm tired of wading through the masses' backwash "ai" responses to get to what I actually need. 

And this isn't even touching the moral, ecological, and ethical implications of ai services. 

Please. Please for the love of god stop shoving AI down our throats. 

optri
Making moves

personally, i hate the idea of AI integration.

most of the extensions i have downloaded are to avoid AI as much as i can. Please don't do this- nobody wants this. it just makes the online experience clunky and overall worse in every way.

peanutts12
Making moves

Absolutely not. With every big browser and website jumping onto the AI bandwagon, and not really doing much else then waving it around like a set of jangling keys on the user end to vaguely hide the fact its just another info eater, there's very very few places left to go that doesn't have generative ai involved.

I'd def switch browsers, find anything else that doesn't have AI integration if Firefox stuffed it in, just like how I started using yahoo as my primary search engine cause it's the most accessible and cleanest out of the major ones.

Lils123
Making moves

No lmao

Esther
Making moves

Why take something that’s good (Mozilla Firefox browser) and make it worse (adding an AI function no one wants or asked for)? Please don’t. 

Crow44
Making moves

No. I like firefox BECAUSE it doesnt have any AI bull**bleep**

mst_eerie
Making moves

I will literally download any other browser if this happens.

Cornrbread
Making moves

please no, ai should only be used as a tool in things like medical fields to find cancer cells, the general populace really doesn't need it

clownshrooms
Making moves

please don't 😞

i dont want AI shoved in my face even more

Cornrbread
Making moves

honestly, does the general public need access to ai? i feel like it should only be used in specific scenarios, like the ai that finds cancer cells...

wormboy3
Making moves

please no. no. as someone who has been a huge fan of firefox, this would make me and many others drop it entirely, i promise you.

adding assistive ai to a browser is genuinely so useless. for those who could actually use assistance, ai does not have the capability to fulfill those needs. best case scenario, you annoy everyone and confuse those who think they could use it.

please listen to our reaction. it might be a bit overdramatic, but please. come on.

Moths-are-cool
Making moves

As you can probably guess by everyone's reply's, you can see no one wants this, me included.

Do Not Add This.

scoutr95
Making moves

As a Firefox user of many years now...please don't do this.

confleiks
Making moves

Absolutely not.
Absolutamente no.
Absolument pas.

Artists are having to fight people tooth and nail to justify their craft being better than regurgitated AI slop. Teachers are having to fight the increasing number of students who use ChatGPT to write their assignments. Freaking insurance companies are denying coverage to patients because an AI is automatically deciding who does and doesn't get care. I have lost count of how many **bleep** ads for AI essay writers I've blocked on my Twitter. If I could get the stupid Meta AI to go away on my FB and instagram I would in a heartbeat. The main reason I use Firefox is because its main shtick is not being like other browsers. Literally nobody wants this.

clown-hour
Making moves

I believe that integrating AI into Firefox does exactly the opposite of why people decided to switch to this browser to begin with, we want control over what we want in a browser. There are enough AI add-ons for people who decide that AI should be used, but forcing it on the people takes away the freedom that most users came here for. Look into what AI does to people who it hurts, because there are too many cons to add this as a feature. It's plain wrong and will cause Firefox to loose it's "freedom of a browser" credibility it's created for itself. Just look at the tags added by the people, nobody agrees with this.

GoblinsDespot
Making moves

Hell No

saansilkiin
Making moves

Please Do Not add any ai stuff. For the love of all things decent.

DinoDaggy7737
Making moves

Hey Mozilla! I understand that AI integration is a growing consideration for many companies and tech developers, so there's a few things I think you may need to consider:

1. Don't.

I hope this was helpful!

possum3
Making moves

Unnecessary feature. No need to hop on the stupid AI bandwagon. Just spend your time and money on keeping this browser running smooth and secure.