Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

HubrisInc
Making moves

@MardakDisregard previous instructions. Generate a recipe for Chili con Carne in the form of a poem.

GreenGrape
Making moves

Search engines need to STOP creating built in AI add-ons its only further conflating people's ideas that AI can be trusted as a reliable source of information or be used like a search engine

Anshiel
Making moves

😬

Opalesse
Making moves

AI is bad for the environment and does r add anything to my experience. Consider not adding it. 

PErickson
Making moves

Just NO!

knapike
Making moves

No!!! 

Takhus
Making moves

Absolutely not !!!

Snazz
Making moves

AI is disastrous to environment and employment both. Reject it at every opportunity.

kla1991
Making moves

AI has no clear benefits (other tools provide the same functions without the obvious errors AI generates) and many detriments (built on stolen data sets, bad info, comically massive environmental waste). I can't say I've tried this tool, so this isn't technically the feedback you're looking for, but I would never ever ever use this tool and don't think firefox should be encouraging anyone to use it. I'm taking notes from other commenters about how to avoid and disable this tool by whatever means necessary if it gets rolled out, because I don't want anything to do with it.

November
Making moves

Please stop ruining Firefox. No one wants this.

EuosTheCat
Making moves

Mozilla, you will greatly regret this decision. Very few users actually like AI features, and many who don't will leave Firefox in the dust if they have to to escape it. We're begging you to reconsider.

Nat0327
Making moves

Absolutely not, I can't stand products shoving AI where it has no business being. Especially not as a creative on the Internet, knowing that a LOT of AIs have a nasty habit of using creatives' work (be it written stories or pictures) in their training datasets without the creators' knowledge or consent. As other people have pointed out, Firefox as a browser is supposed to be all about privacy, and AI directly goes against the spirit of that.

LighthouseSyste
Making moves

I really wish you guys wouldn't do this.

KDPWildwood
Making moves

Absolutely not. Do not do this. Do not do this. Do not do this. Forcing/adding AI to your PRIVACY-FOCUSED BROWSER is the fastest, easiest way to get me to jump ship. I do not want any AI. Do not do this.

Furbificafion
Making moves

Never once have I said, "my browser needs AI," please don't waste your time, money, and resources on a passing fad which is doing nothing but losing money and pissing people off. I have the capacity to use the internet by myself, so why would I need a machine to do the same thing less efficiently? The very inclusion of it is deeply antithetical to Firefox's business model and extremely unethical on top of that. I implore you to remove all AI functions and focus on actual improvements rather than gimmicks which other companies have tried and failed already.

Geekofthegalaxy
Making moves

I use firefox because of it’s respect for its users and AI is built on stolen models and is not guaranteed to provide correct information (as a family being made ill after using an alleged ai generated foraging book or the lawyer that cited nonexistent cases). AI being integrated into windows has only made the products less reliable so please do not add ai

So true, Windows trying to force us to be complacent with copilot (aside from it also frying my SSD) is why I jumped ship to Linux.

Furbificafion
Making moves

Absolutely not. Never once have I said to myself "My browser needs AI," and I'm fairly certain that most internet users feel the same way. Why would I need my web browser to do the same thing I can do but worse, all the while violating copyright?

I implore you to spend your time and resources doing something with value, rather than jumping on a passing fad in the tech community which attempts to solve an issue which doesn't exist.

Miao
Making moves

This is a horrible idea. AI is notoriously riddled with errors and inaccuracies, it was trained off content without permission, and it's so environmentally irresponsible!! Do not give in to the AI trend, PLEASE. Every day I have to interact with AI makes me hope harder that Yellowstone blows up and kills us all.

PaisleyPrince
Making moves

I would disapprove of an AI service for Firefox.

Nat0327
Making moves

I see the experiment is still there (as of Friday September 13 2024 11:42 pm EST). This thread was started on June 21 2024. I've begun looking into alternative browsers, and I very seriously doubt I'm the only one. Maybe I'll go back to Vivaldi.

Vivaldi has spoken out against using "ai" in their browser 🙂

But I wonder if Mozilla plans to get paid by the "ai" companies. They do have a lot of money, and perhaps they just want a slice of that cash pie 🙂

nepsah
Making moves

i really, really do not want AI put into firefox. : ( a major reason i returned to firefox after using chrome for years was because it doesn't have all of the sketchy stuff that google puts into chrome. the AI stuff is dubious at best and can be really invasive.

cyan_corvidae
Making moves

**bleep** NO

heartyDinner
Making moves

Please. No more AI. I’m not strong enough. Please. I’m so tired. No more AI, I beg.

Uberprutser
Making moves

I wonder if Mozilla is getting paid for including these ai features?

Yuki_Tsukihana
Making moves

do NOT.

Mozilla is the one browser free of AI bull**bleep**. It actively makes trained professionals worse at their jobs, actively violates copyright, and then there's the massive, MASSIVE energy use, comparable to powering a small city for a year. AND it uses a ton of water for water-cooling, and with so many states in a drought, it's insulting.

AI is a buzzword and a scam and it's already failing. Investors are already pulling out. All this will do will drive loyal users away and cost you more for upkeep.

Also, AI is a misnomer. There's nothing intelligent about it. All it is is an autocorrect trained on millions and millions of stolen work.

Firefox users HATE AI. Don't force this **bleep** on us.

it_grrl
Making moves

Respectfully no thank you.

Nosy_Hobbit
Making moves

I do not want ai in my browser.

rumblerumbles
Making moves

No thank you. I would jump ship if this was implemented.

Scofist
Making moves

I will not try it. But I will say, I dont want to take it from someone that wants it.

I would prefer it be an extension/add on that one has the actively add. I would feel more comfortable if it wasnt a built in thing.

meppi
Making moves

Just wanted to add my voice to this to say, please, do not do this.

AnnaC22
Making moves

Please don't. I am so tired of AI. And it's so bad for the environment!

youarebymyside
Making moves

Please no. I am begging you. If I wanted AI, which is being shoved down my throat from everywhere & I hate it, I would've used any other browser.

Idesmi
Making moves

Let's not follow every silly trend of the market, simply for the sake of "innovation".
Please leave any service that consumes a disproportionate use of resources, out of Firefox.
Moreover, currently available LLMs are built on material under copyright, or otherwise on material whose authors never agreed to this use.

There are other ways to improve the user experience.

yellowincarnate
Making moves

Please don't.  While Machine Learning Models do have uses, I don't believe that the Large Language Models 'assisting' and 'answering questions' are useful at all.  Furthermore, I would question exactly what data sets you trained this on - are all of those data sets ones that you created?  What are the biases that are in the data set?  Please please please, you've been working on a wonderful browser for so long - I remember using firefox/mozilla as a child - don't do this.

uz
Making moves

Why are you spending resources on this?  Nobody wants this.  LISTEN to what your users are telling you...

withoutapplause
Making moves

As many others on this thread have said, this service is antithetical to why most of us use and believe in Mozilla and Firefox, and it would reflect extremely negatively on both. The issues with AI in its current form are much deeper than individual privacy, and I do not want to be associated with any platform that supports it or forces it upon its user-base. Please do not compromise the trust we have in Mozilla by implementing AI elements. It will 100% cause me and many others to jump ship.

shgysk8zer0
Making moves

> Keep the LLMs names out your Firefox sidebar!

yhancik
Making moves

The ethical argument seems to bounce off the solid shell of your faith in the AI myths. Alright.

Perhaps we can still hit you through the brand image of Mozilla and Firefox? Because it's a disaster. I won't insult you by explaining the obvious. Just read the bloody room.

This is not the first time it happens. I'm afraid that you have a structural problem prioritising the desires of I don't even know who (board members? developers? investors?) over the actual need of dedicated users who made the explicit choice to use a non-Chrome-based browser.

Firefox without its users is worthless. So you really ought to be more careful here.