Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,150 REPLIES 3,150

wilbureworm238
Making moves

please please pretty please DONT add ai i beg of you mozilla team please

nesanon
Making moves

an absolutely TERRIBLE idea. implementing ai would be shooting yourselves in the foot! firefox is supposed to be the nice, simple, private option for internet users! ai is decidedly NOT part of that ideal. no thanks, man!

wilbureworm238
Making moves

ai is awful as a search engine please dont

le3ech
Making moves

I will stop using Nightly if Ai is implemented. I haven't noticed any yet but if I do I'll uninstall. It already ruined google and you still think this is a good idea???

socksolotl
Making moves

I am so incredibly tired of companies foisting AI onto us and calling something so invasive, exploitative, and environmentally destructive, "innovative." I've long respected mozilla's commitment to privacy and security and general decency that seeing this sharp turn into embracing AI is disappointing, at best. Where's your integrity?

Billing
Making moves

If you implement AI into Firefox I'll drop the browser so fast. Do not want. Ever, in any capacity.

andwhyisit
Making moves

You have been pushing Firefox as the solution for privacy until now. AI will undermine those efforts. No-one will trust that you aren't using the browser to pull training data from your own users. You will fracture your existing userbase by implementing AI. Do not let sunk cost fallacy influence your decision-making. Drop AI now!

Lampollo
Making moves

Made an account just to say I’ve never wanted a feature less! I do not want AI in my browser and I’d honestly rather jump back to chrome than use firefox if this was put in 🙂

Marcy
Making moves

Hi! please do not add ai to a perfectly good browser. you will lose A LOT of your userbase if you go through with this. thank you for your time

fieldofclovers
Making moves

No thanks - I use Firefox specifically for its lack of AI features. I do not like any other mainstream browser options mostly due to their lack of privacy and history with AI. I will figure out a way to keep my Firefox at whichever version is right before the AI integration and use it there forever, or until it stops working. Don't make me (and a large swath of your userbase) have to do that. I appreciate that this is completely optional and has no impact on core functionality though - at least you had the right idea with that. There can be browser extensions for AI at the absolute most - make it so it's only available if you seek it out. I don't want it built in at all.

HeyCallMeRed
Making moves

you're a web browser. your job is to render web pages, download files, and stay out of the user's way while doing so.

adding AI "features" does literally none of these things.

stop trying to make Firefox into a fun toy; a web browser should be a streamlined tool.

Enbyable
Making moves

AI Is the worst idea for Firefox.  For a browser that is much less **bleep**ty than many of the alternatives.  The inclusion of AI into the Firefox experience would have me strongly reconsider both using and recommending it.  The internet does NOT need more AI.  It needs ease of access, privacy, and human creativity.  AI would completely nix the point of all of that.

MPB339
Making moves

No AI in Firefox!

tomthrfanboy
Making moves

No thank you. Do not put this in the normal distro. AI is not the way of the future, it represents everything I want to AVOID by using firefox. if there is a small percentage of users who want these tools they can get them through plug ins.

thorn4500
Making moves

please don't. already got enough AI junk clogging up everything else.

Heavenlyt
Making moves

If this gets added, I’ll probably be leaving Firefox. I’m not interested in more AI BS in my life. I use Firefox specifically because you all promise privacy. Nothing about AI offers that. Do not implement this. 

alfalfascout
Making moves

please no ai in firefox. please 

no. i've had enough, 

it's everywhere and 

it's 

useless!

Bediger4000
Making moves

Please don't do this. "AI" gets things half right  as in spelling "robusness" and giving hands 7 fingers. Nothing good will come of this 

LadyHavoc
Making moves

Please do not add AI services to Firefox.

KatemcnNOAI
Making moves

Nobody wants this. It involves theft of intellectual property and environmental devastation. Stop now.

pixelghosts
Making moves

AI is antithetical to everything Firefox is supposed to be striving to be. It erodes privacy, steals from users, and is an all-around greedy cash grab. I can't in good conscience recommend Firefox anymore if it's going to go down this path.

Boo
Making moves

Please, please don't make this a feature! Part of why I love using Firefox is the privacy and the ability to add extensions easily, but a massive part of why I use Firefox is the lack of AI involved!! Not only is AI scrapping the Internet for its frankly replies to most questions (that range from useless to nonsense to just misinformative to just downright dangerous), but it's also terrible for the environment, not sustainable, and I absolutely do not trust any AI company as they don't care about the people who's livelihoods are getting screwed over by AI (specifically writers and artists).

Please, do not add an AI function to Firefox.

MugginsM
Making moves

Presenting a whole list of *unethical* AI services right up front seems to directly undermine Mozilla's goal to encourage ethical AI, surely?

Just list "ethical" AI sources here, or make it an optional extension that people can choose to install if they wish, otherwise you're just jumping on the bandwagon and encouraging all the badness that most of us use Firefox to avoid.

plutesboots
Making moves

Absolutely no "AI" should be acceptable in firefox.

LLMs are just plagiarism machines/data scrapers that are untrustworthy, and have frequently produced not only wrong information, but actively harmful information. Just look at all the dangerous plant foraging books they're having to constantly purge on amazon. You cannot in any way make me or many others accept this.

There is no future where I'd be willing to use these horrendous things. If not for the harmful misinformation they put out, then just for the fact that they're a Significant contributor to climate change. The amount of power and water these LLMs use is staggering and horrific.

I can always find another, privacy respecting browser. Because this is anything but.

KKM0tion
Making moves

As someone who wants a private internet, please don't do this. I moved to Firefox for just this, and I am pretty sure this will end in less users in general, and less happy users. AI has environmental concerns, ethical concerns (Great article here), and overall copyright concerns.

DaisyDollop
Making moves

Firefox doesn't need to use AI to be a good product. AI is detrimental to the environment and isn't necessary for a search engine. I have been championing this browser for over 20 yesrs to everyone I know. If Firefox starts buying into the hooey around AI I'll have to reconsider and look for other browsers.

RavenBonnefoy
Making moves

PLEASE NO. i'm already so sick of gemini and gpt and every other ai. even duckduckgo has one now, and it too is awful. cmon. stop it.

loke
Making moves

I hate using the term "slippery slope", but this is one. Doing this is a risk of normalising "ai summaries", which is a bad idea, not only because these don't don't summarise, they abbreviate, which very often causes a dangerous loss of context. We also know that over-reliance on these features lowers overall skill of people to absorb and critically analyse information. Firefox as a project should try to set an example here, to try to be better.

Besides all of this, no one is actually asking for a functionality like this. It has been shown that the term "ai" doesn't even have a positive connotation in consumers' minds. What is the actual reason to do this? I'd hope it's not because of some misguided need to put "ai" onto the product label.

Eppygirl
Making moves

Please no, AI assisted search is not worth the social or the environmental cost, I don’t want to feel so guilty using Firefox that I have to start using Ecosia

apparition
Making moves

Mozilla is a not-for-profit company that exists at least partly on the generosity of donations. Taking that money and squandering it on the development of AI junk like this is a slap in the face to everyone who has supported your company and your software. As others have already pointed out, this initiative contradicts Mozilla's very mission.

On top of that, Firefox's marketshare is already dire, and this feature will absolutely drive away many of your most dedicated users. Please reconsider.

Dooz
Making moves

Please don't. There are better things to focus on than AI.

NikGillis
Making moves

Please, no. A lot of people use Firefox to get AWAY from this kind of **bleep**. If we wanted it, we'd use Chrome. Don't ruin your leg up on the competition.

ladytemeraire
Making moves

Absolutely the hell not. AI is almost universally built on stealing from writers and artists, and I hate having it shoved in my face. I love using Firefox and don't want this to be the reason I drop it. Thus far, Firefox has been dedicated to protecting my data and privacy on a level far above every other browser. I would hate to see them do an abrupt about-face and engage with technology that is nothing but a parasite.

insouciance
Making moves

No, absolutely not. I moved to Firefox because I don't want A.I. It's exploitative, it's environmentally disastrous, and I'm happy with what Firefox already provides. I chose Firefox because it focused on privacy; I don't want my data utilised by A.I. Your data use policies are why I chose Firefox. I will absolutely walk away if Firefox pivots towards A.I.

jbirduser
Making moves

Please, please, please remove this. Firefox is the only option left WITHOUT AI. Its the best alternative we have to NOT USE AI. Please shut this down asap.

alexlemire
Making moves

Do not do this.

catboylesbianz
Making moves

NO NO NO WE HATE AI

sadbean609
Making moves

nononono no. Hope that helps 🙂 

d_willowleaf
Making moves

Mozilla you are the last line of defense, do NOT falter to AI now. Please. Adding AI will make Firefox a worse browser while people look to you as a beacon of hope against the wave of Chromium. I'm not kidding. Don't do this. Please.

IamParadoxic99
Making moves

do not do it, it's so easy to not