Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,165 REPLIES 3,165

kzdepski
Making moves

Please don't do this. Not having to wade through AI garbage is one of the reasons I use Firefox.

filixinfinitio
Making moves

Firefox is supposed to be simple and private. AI is neither. Please consider dropping this

queenofzan
Making moves

Adding AI to Firefox is pointless. People who want to use AI can easily access it; people who don't want to use AI are tired of having it added to things unnecessarily.

Also, it is unclear what "AI services" in this context means. If it is generative text or images, that is environmentally harmful and potentially dangerous, as we have recently seen with Google AI search summaries suggesting suicidal people should jump off of bridges, or AI-driven mushroom guides giving incorrect and potentially deadly information about identifying safe mushrooms.

I do not see any value in adding vaguely-defined AI services to Firefox, and it could potentially be irresponsible. I'm not sure why you would do this.

greenbird
Making moves

Things I want my browser to do:

• Go to the url I've entered
  • Minimize the number of cookies, ads, and myriad other trackers that wind up on my device
  • Securely handle the processing of personal and financial data

Things I do not want my browser to do:

• Connect my browsing to an AI, thereby feeding my data back into an LLM and creating backdoors for collecting passwords and banking information.

Every time another company announces they're incorporating AI into their software my first response is to find a way to a) disable it or b) revert to a previous upgrade. If neither is possible, I just switch programs.

Lyons
Making moves

giphy

Thunderlina
Making moves

PLEASE GOD NO! I and many, many others are sick and tired of having AI nonsense we don't want shoved down our throats. There are more than enough ways to access AI tools today as it is, anyone who wants to use AI has more than enough methods to do so. It absolutely does not need to be integrated into every goddamn piece of software out there just because it's the hot new trend in the tech world.

Lunastories
Making moves

Please don’t add AI to the browser it’s the one safe haven from this madness. AI as it is now is by definition anti-people and exploitive as it is trained on content without the consent of the creators. If the foundations goal is to be for the people as it claims then support humans and don’t add this AI nonsense to the browser. Thank you. 

ArcaneQuark
Making moves

Please don't. It's bloat, and it's antithetical to the idea of firefox being a private and secure browser. Just... don't.

lilulii
Making moves

No, please I can't take this environment destructive bs anymore. AI is bad, is that really that hard to understand? It sucks everywhere it was implemented and I love firefox, please don't destroy this as well T-T

shakesthewizard
Making moves

"... to see if it's a useful addition to Firefox." It's not. It's a massive labor & privacy violation, and it's a huge ecological problem. Firefox is supposed to be the browser that holds itself to a higher standard than the megacorporations that run the internet, and the addition of this "feature" is a slap in the face to your entire userbase. Do better.

meansandends
Making moves

Please please don't do this. "AI" is a massive waste of resources for minimal, if any, utility.

LoveMachine
Making moves

No AI in Firefox. Don't die the hero, continue to be the hero by listening to your users. 

k_tollefs
Making moves

Just don't

ladytauria
Making moves

I would prefer not to have an AI. They’re unreliable sources of information and are often trained on stolen content.

GhostlyLatte
Making moves

Please do not implement AI at all, period. It's harmful for people, and damaging for the environment, and we don't want nor need it. I'd rather not have to stop using Firefox when it's usually so good about not doing awful things like this.

Red_Changing
Making moves

Please do not add AI to Firefox. AI in it's current form ranges from either completely useless to actively harmful, and nearly every dataset is trained on stolen data

kingneon
Making moves

This is absolutely not necessary nor will it be useful. AI often has incorrect responses to user questions and searches. Not to mention how much of a waste of resources it is. It takes up so much processing power for so little in return, and wastes gallons upon gallons of water cooling those overworked components. If you have any care for your users and for the environment, please do not use or implement any AI features (even optional ones) into Firefox.

You guys seem like the only browser willing to listen to its users. Thank you for opening this subject to comment. Please listen to us.

Miranova23
Making moves

AI is the worst & only makes things like this worse. Pleeease no! I really like Firefox but I have dropped other things I liked just as much once they tried to integrate AI. The quality always ends up tanked.

taichara
Making moves

I do not want "AI" in Firefox.  Ever.

- LLM feed off of other people's works, without permission or recompense.

- LLM regurgitate back utter nonsense.

- Oh and they suck up energy and water requirements at a truly horrific speed that cannot be justified ever let alone in a climate crisis.

NO to "AI".

Crowleyhamster
Making moves

Why is this even something you're considering?!?   No one wants this.

woolycat
Making moves

I'm adding in my vote of no. I, along with many others, are anti AI. I'm tired of having AI shoved in my face, tired of seeing the damage it does to actual people. It's a digital plague. I have held Firefox in high regards for being for the people, but the inclusion of AI would make me rethink that stance and have me considering other options.

tjl
Making moves

How do we remove this entirely from a build? Not just some about:config rabbit-hole, how can I download a source build to get a version where this is simply not present at all?

This should be a configuration item, not something that would require a fork.

Ambs
Making moves

Please do not do this.  Generative AI has repeatedly proven to be mistake-ridden and makes things up wholesale because it's based on statistical linguistic probabilities rather than actual conceptual thinking, never mind the environmental damages required to run that kind of computing power.  I will be turning off all generative AI extensions/add-on/gingerbread that is pushed out to all users and will be considering other browsers if I can't get away from it

Traccoon
Making moves

No, get rid of this. I came here for privacy and no ai sidebars/ai 'features', if this goes beyond testing I will uninstall this browser and do my damnest to erase myself from here. I will drop you faster than your processors can register, I did this with duckduck, I will do it with you.

iamcaptainskye
Making moves

Part of what I love about Firefox is its resistance to compromising on user privacy, accessibility, customizability, and utility. Introducing AI/LLM features, even if they're opt-in, is still antithetical to every reason that I use Firefox and recommend it to all of my friends and family.

Courtknee
Making moves

I don’t want AI in Firefox. Or anywhere really but Firefox is the focus here.

rk1
Making moves

NO THANK YOU.  I abandoned g**gle chrome years ago because  knew they were putting in more and more predatory practices and functionalities in their program and I came to Firefox to AVOID all that junk. Even if you add it as an "option" now it's only a matter of time before it becomes built in. KEEP AI OUT OF MY INTERNET EXPERIENCE, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

AsterInDis
Making moves

Generative AI sucks. Uses too much electricity & water and spews out middle of the road crap rife with misinformation and errors. So no thanks.

EinsteinFrizz
Making moves

Everything has been said before but I wanted to add my voice to the sea of disapprovals - Mozilla has the opportunity to show their absolute backbone against predatory internet practices (as has been its brand for a long time) by rejecting the erosion of personal and intellectual privacy and ownership of information through the use of AI. This goes against the core reason why people use Firefox in the first place. Do not add this feature.

(edited to add: I made a forum account just for this because I feel so strongly about it but I have been using Firefox for many years)

Alpha
Making moves

Why would you even consider this. Every artist and writer and anyone affected by AI will dump this web browser.

Katjr
Making moves

NO to AI.

CambrianC
Making moves

this sounds horrendous, I really wish we could stop encouraging people to use AI as search engines when there are already so many examples of AI spreading misinformation because it saw one comment that was meant to be sarcastic. Not to mention the thievery and insane power usage that is inherent to AI.

june-
Making moves

DO NOT AI PLEASE

koiranliha
Making moves

Please no. Please for the love of god, this is part of exactly what I switched to Firefox to AVOID. DON'T DO THIS. NO ONE asked for this. I don't want an AI toolbar, I want the ability to CHOOSE my extensions and have the OPTION to use AI or don't. I don't want an AI reading my settings, I don't want an AI suggesting me things, I don't want an AI anywhere near my browser.

I stopped using Google Chrome because AI was taking over. I stopped using Google Docs because AI was taking over. I stopped using Duolingo because AI was taking over. Don't make me stop using Firefox too.

mothgenes
Making moves

please for the love of god do not put ai in here i have never used it once and i would like to go the rest of my life without don't even show it to me. don't put it in front of me. if its in my eye sight i don't want it. if i wanted a terrible browser experience that i cannot trust on any level i would go to a different browser. do not put the "mix vinegar and bleach dont worry about it" chatbot in firefox please. please? Please

whitenight12
Making moves

No thanks if I wanted to use AI then I'll go to a website and do that, but AI should not be part of the browser.

liverofsulfur
Making moves

hey bud this is a bad call. i literally made an account to tell you this. this is a waste of everyone's time, energy, and resources. y'all have a great browser on your hands. don't tarnish it with the AI garbage that's going around. if all the cool kids (ex: Google) were burning their cars, would y'all burn yours too? i'd sure hope not

Flrt
Making moves

No, thank you. I switched from Chrome to Firefox to avoid the encroaching AI (among other things, but I really thought Mozilla wouldn't turn to AI at all tbh), and I hope you reconsider using it at all.  I don't want the option to hide it, I want the option to remove it altogether if it is implemented.

AStrangeKnight
Making moves

Adding AI to Firefox would be terrible. Why is this even being considered? Because everyone else in tech is doing it? God, that's stupid.

BookishSiren
Making moves

Please don't.

Look, we get that AI is the "Big Thing" in tech right now but, with everything we're seeing Generative AI is doing nothing but actively harming the environment, information and fact checking, as well as artists and creators.

It might seem like if you want to keep up with the rest of the world you need to join the crowd but it's the ways that Firefox is different that brings people to it, and bringing AI into it is going to just alienate people who've come to trust Mozilla.

It will make people uncertain, because if you're going to way of Google on AI, how can we be certain you won't on other features that people have come to rely on? Where will the lines be drawn, and how will be be able to trust they're set in stone when you will have made it clear that conformity is more important to you.

So please, do not do this.