Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

Incorrect, at least in my case. Though I became aware of this development through the feed of a person I follow, my reaction is independent of that person's view. I have my own reasons to reject such uses of Applied Algorithms (I refuse to call it AI), and do not simply regurgitate other people's viewpoints, no matter how much I respect them.

It's not a weaponization of followers. It's just them being on tumblr and knowing that a lot of tumblr uses firefox. They are basically just saying, 'Hey Firefox, users...do you see this **bleep**?' It's not inorganic, it's informed. It was a PSA, not a bullying campaign. This IS the firefox user base. We all use it and we all care and we would not have known there was any recourse at all otherwise because the average user doesn't hang out in wherever the **bleep** this place is. Sorry your feelings are hurt that you are in a minority, but there it is.

This feels disengenuous as many people including me did not come from there, and have no idea who that is or their viewpoints, do randomly claiming everyone against putting a learning algorithm or "ai" into a good search engine when it has majorly messed up every other search engine that tried to incorporate it is some real bs leading stuff

Is that Tumblr? I'm not on Tumblr. I still think AI sucks. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify. 

Lol, found the ai tech bro who knows nothing about what is actually going on. News flash, Tumblr users are the main group who promote this browser. And most of us would prefer it remain a good web browser instead of adding to the already horrendous amount of damage and plagiarism that generative technology is causing. Some of us actually want to keep our information and work private instead of it being stollen to give billion dollar companies more money. Screw you, and screw ‘AI’. 

CloverChameleon
Making moves

We don't want this. No one in their right mind wants all these "ai" features. I understand the pressure to stay competitive and not seem left behind, but in the same way mozilla has been garnering more and more goodwill for the data protection features being slashed in competitors, you will instantly lose a lot of it by giving into this senseless and useless trend. Please choose to be better.

Reverend-Dog
Making moves

Please don't.

missingfragment
Making moves

I don't understand the point of integrating ""AI"" (LLM chatbot) into Firefox . Firefox is a web browser.  It's meant to open and display web pages, that's why we all use it.  You can already use Firefox to visit an ""AI"" website if you would like to.  ""AI"" is already being shoved into every level of software as it is.  Windows is already pushing it on the OS.  Why would you need ""AI"" as a sidebar in your web browser when it's already being shoved into every other application on the computer, down to the OS itself?  I don't understand what the use case for this could even be.  And of course, the privacy and data usage concerns that come with these so-called AI tools brings many problems along with it that the majority of your userbase are coming to Firefox to avoid. 

Please use your time and resources for something that will actually improve Firefox as a web browser.

epjol111
Making moves

please don't. please don't. i'm begging you, firefox is the last browser i trust, please don't pollute it with AI bull**bleep**. AI is a scam, it's bloat, it simply doesn't work, and will never work, and will never be wanted. please listen to us, please abandon AI for firefox.

chetwisniewski
Making moves

I'd prefer to keep generative AI nonsense as far from all of my equipment as possible. If this continues, I will no longer be able to recommend Firefox to those who trust my opinions on technology.

Pine
Making moves

Bad idea

PiTheSpy
Making moves

Please do NO add AI, for the love of everything in this world, the Internet is already crowded with poorly-generated false information and fake images, please please PLEASE DO NOT ADD AI

frantasmagoria
Making moves

Please don't add AI features to Firefox. It's a risk to privacy. As others have said, I would prefer for Firefox to focus on being a secure, privacy-focused browser.

SeamusHarper
Making moves

Hi! My feedback is that this makes me deeply unhappy to see and I'd really prefer Firefox not deal with AI at all. I understand that it's "optional" but it makes it really hard for me to want to continue recommending Firefox as a browser when it's dabbling in the same unconscionable AI bs as every other browser. Let Firefox stay "The Best Option!" and not "The Less Of All Evils". No AI, please.

Bbbbb
Making moves

For the love of God no, I moved to your browser specifically to get away from all the idoits incorporating ai **bleep** 

kdj8
Making moves

I don't see the reason for implementing this into the browser itself. It's easily done by extensions and just causes controversy. There are much better uses of development time.

Arbutusae
Making moves

Please please don't do this, as more companies take on more AI features, the more dire an environmental impact it has. AI has infected the internet with misinformation and stolen work, it'd be a terrible shame for the last good browser to bring more of this to the virtual landscape.

This isn't something your users want, please don't do this.

dstn
Making moves

I'm begging you, stop trying to be an AI company.

JUST MAKE A BROWSER.

That's all you need to do.

It's one job.  You can do that job.  It doesn't have to be boring.  You can do a really good job at it, and be proud of that work.  It is important, good work.

STOP DOING AI.

WanderingWords
Making moves

DO NOT. BAD BAD BAD BAD. PUT IT AWAY. JUST DONT. 

wwckctrs
Making moves

Echoing the sentiment disapproving of the addition of ai to Firefox. As another user puts it, Firefox's priority on privacy is the reason I use it and implementing ai features just throws my trust right out. I *will* figure out how to get a fork without these features if they are implemented, and it seems I won't have too much trouble if many others here share the same feeling.

Fridgelargemea
Making moves

Do not do this, it goes against everything Firefox is meant to stand for

CelesteTreecat
Making moves

Aside from the strong public sentiment that does not have an interest in AI, its general 'AI for everything' application is proven to cause sharp decreases in quality of service and an increase of errors.  Not to mention the likelihood of troubled legal territory.  I would emphatically recommend discontinuing any implementation of AI until further notice. 

kirbo_kirbstar
Making moves

Get rid of it, please.

gigglefizz
Making moves

PLEASE PLEASE NO. 

Kiesen
Making moves

Absolutely do not go in this direction. You will riddle your browser with nothing more than misinformation, theft, and soulless corporation staining- not to mention the horrible environmental impact AI has. The world is already burning, I'd rather not have the most tolerable browser speed that up by introducing a feature that guzzles down water like it's infinite and not required for our very lives.

phoenix92
Making moves

Terrible idea. Bringing AI into Firefox is not an improvement, it's sabotage. This is the only browser I trust, and the fact that it isn't shot through with computer generated misinformation/lies/hogwash is a big reason for that. I appreciate that this is opt-in, at the very least, but the introduction at all is a misstep.

Kneoria
Making moves

Hi I dont agree with the Idea of adding AI to firefox. I in fact use firefox because it doesnt have AI which is a grossly harmful practice to the environment and also due to the lack of consent and transparency that AI in general seems to be trained on.

Im also not super thrilled that I had to make an account in order to deliver this feedback. I would much prefer that time and development is spent on making secure and high performing web browsers. Adding AI, depending on how integrated it became and how easy it is to remove for the non tech savvy lay person is highly likely to drive me away from Firefox.

TamarST
Making moves

I also say no. AI is either grossly inaccurate or is trained by stealing people’s writing. We don’t want it on Firefox.

itsjustlyz
Making moves

Don't. Just don't. AI is garbage and needs so much electricity just to run that it's harming the environment. Generative AI is putting actual artists and authors out of work by stealing their art. Google and Opera incorporating AI is the whole reason I switched to Firefox, please don't do this.

Bounty
Making moves

Let me make this clear and simple: I started an account which I will likely not use again purely to tell you not to do this.

I do not want AI services on Firefox. You cannot sell it to me, you cannot rehabilitate its image, you can only damage your own with it. More well-funded PR departments than yours have tried.

I would explain why, but the hordes of people much more well-informed than I have already given you an exhaustive list of reasons why you should not be even considering AI; if none of these sway you, nothing will.

I will keep it simple. If you add AI to Firefox, in any way, shape or form, I will change browsers as a direct consequence.

saurons
Making moves

ABSOLUTELY NOT. NO AI EVER

practicalpants
Making moves

Oh absolutely not, thank you. I switched to Firefox to get away from the AI and privacy-invading algorithms, and I'd really hate to have to go looking for another browser again. I was just starting to get decent at basic code.

AI is unethical, unreliable, unregulated and unnecessary. Thanks for considering an opt-out option, but to add these features at all is going to erode my trust in the platform.

cbarf
Making moves

No. NO. NO!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE AI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE ON FIREFOX TO GET AWAY FROM THIS STOP IT!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

a7h13f
Making moves

If you add AI garbage to Firefox I will be forced to use a different browser.

minego
Making moves

Mozilla has lost the plot. No one is hoping for Firefox to be a clone of all the other terrible browsers. Please stop copying the mistakes of others in a desperate attempt to fit in.

soupyloopy
Making moves

Please don't put AI in or around Firefox. It would completely undermine the reasons I use this browser in the first place. Can we please have one haven from that mess??

cfendley
Making moves

This seems like an unnecessary addition to Firefox and Mozilla. AI services largely seem to exist as bloat which other services are just as capable of doing more simply and with less margin for error

anfadhfaol
Making moves

There has literally never been a time in the decade + I have been using firefox when ai has been helpful or wanted. It is inefficient, expensive, wasteful of water and power, incorrect, and contributing to the en**bleep**tification of the internet. There are other tools that would be much better investments.

HK73
Making moves

AI is terrible, and if you continue to push it, I'll uninstall your browser from every electronic device I own.

VaranianScribe
Making moves

Get your AI abomination away from me!