Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,165 REPLIES 3,165

sophievm
Making moves

i consider Firefox my browser of choice BECAUSE of the privacy factor and now lack of AI. i won't be happy to continue supporting if I'm forced to suffer with its direct integration. if Firefox/Mozilla values privacy as much as it states, they will not utilise data-scraping and inherently invasive AI into their browser.

a firm and resounding NO from me.

HagravenGaming
Making moves

Absolutely not.

E_TernalShadows
Making moves

Please do not. I beg of you. It adds nothing of value. It's a waste or resources and space on the browser.

There are legitimate uses for an AI out there in technology and even medicine that I am a firm supporter of. Cramming a bunch of AI into browsers is just gaudy in my opinion. I know some of the reasons people think users want AI. However here's the problems with AI.

1. They lack the ability to vet the information they are given. In short if someone told an AI the sky is green, without any counter point, the AI will say the sky is green.

2. The resource intensive nature of using AI nowadays.

3. Catering to people who are lazy and potentially stealing content to feed the machine.

As I mentioned I do support appropriate uses for AI, like helping doctors scan for cancer cells or maybe helping people who suffered strokes. Or other things where AI can do a lot of good. I feel that using it on a browser is just not the right move.

Lexo
Making moves

Don't do that.

delial
Making moves

I'm sorry to say I also disapproved of adding LLMs in their current state to Firefox. Although they could improve Firefox, they need to be running locally and built with data that is ethically sourced and can be verified by the community. Even then the benefits are dubious, but at least local means low environmental impact and strong privacy protections, and open data sets means no systematic theft or invisible biases.

K-M
Making moves

Please do not add ai to firefox

britt0104
Making moves

Please no. Don’t sully the browser with this AI garbage. 

CAE
Making moves

Please don't

y3s_n0_maybe
Making moves

please please please do not add generative ai to firefox it is the last bastion of the interwebs untainted by profit seeking bull**bleep** like ai please please please do not do this

Grey
Making moves

Don't do this

I'm barely recommending friends and family switch off chrome to Firefox as is it.

If you have to do it, make it a first party add-on in the add-on store.

But please for the love of duck do not implement any AI into any product or service.

It's not useful, it's not ethical, it's a fad that executives are getting FOMOed into prioritizing and it's getting annoying.

Stop.

sophiet-union
Making moves

please do not

Aarynia
Making moves

I use Firefox to avoid AI.

I work in tech and I'm so, so sick of getting inundated with AI. I do not want it.

Zeta_Null
Making moves

Please do not bake AI into the browser. At most make it an extension. There's plenty of people who want nothing to do with AI and if you really want to jump on the bandwagon an extension would be the way to do that without making people too mad. Optimally I'd want it out of the browser entirely but I'm aware investors are big on AI despite the fact that I've not seen much in terms of legitimate practical uses for it.

pdqsketch
Making moves

I do not want any AI generative content please and thank you.

DKpsyhog
Making moves

Absolutely not. I use Firefox to avoid nonsense like this. I'm young enough to have been forced into a walled garden with my tech, locked into the controlled and rigid Google and Apple ecosystems, and I had to do a lot of learning to break out of that prison and learn how computers actually work. Firefox should empower people to use the internet to the fullest, not encourage them to live under the rule of mysterious "black box" technology that hides how things really happen.

...All of that is ignoring the environmental concerns of water and power usage, the ethical concerns of many AI models being trained on scraped works without permission, and—most relevant to Mozilla's stated mission—the privacy and security concerns.

Frankly, I find it embarassing that this would even be considered. This makes it harder for me to recommend Firefox to people. If I'm trying to help people take back control of their online lives, the last thing I want is to encourage them to use "AI" services.

argonautics
Making moves

please do not do this. a lot of users moved to firefox to escape other browsers lack of privacy and data mining. there is no way you can have AI and truly be privacy focused anymore. you're going to lose so many users over this if you move forward. we don't want another browser that is like every other one, firefox being different from everyone else is why we chose it.

BookishActor
Making moves

Please do not!

strb
Making moves

FU very much.

If people wanted a planet-burning chatbot instead of a browser, they would have asked for it.

Leoo3o
Making moves

I have to say that hearing that Firefox has decided to try to implement AI into itself was a disappointment.

At this stage, it appears to be a simple enough bot with little to no malicious side effects in and of itself- however. I would have hoped that the fact that recent AI has been so destructive in its side effects on both the digital and physical environment would have stayed your hands from this path of action. The continuous, seemingly unstoppable, spread of misinformation accentuated by generative bots building off each other's incorrect information is a plight that has yet to be solved. Additionally, the cost running these AIs has on the planet's limited natural resources, and the way it contributes to global warming, is atrocious.

I cannot understate how frustrating it is to see Firefox jump on this AI trend as well without a solution to these issues being addressed in the undertaking.

Bloomi
Making moves

I'm worried about the data security implications and the negative environmental impact this could have. Please don't have this become a standard feature.

Gourd
Making moves

Remove the theft-powered chatbot waste of power.

Kaith
Making moves

I'd personally rather it not be included in Firefox at all

I feel as though even including AI is usually bad optics; I get the sense that most people feel it's something forced upon them which they do not want to engage with.
But it also sorta gives me a sense like what the goal is here is not legitimate improvement but chasing trends. That makes me want to use firefox less.

SecretlyKoishi
Making moves

Absolutely not. There's not a hamster's chance in a garbage disposal that this will ever be a good idea. Do not implement AI. The entire reason I switched to Firefox was to get away from privacy invasion and AI. This was supposed to be the escape from that, the safe haven. Do not add AI.

layamr
Making moves

No. Absolutely not. This "AI" garbage is useless, data stealing, and destroys the environment. The only new ai related thing I want is the ability to block and remove anything to do with it. I will move to a new browser if it's added in any form.

SSHSF
Making moves

No, do not do this. I don't need "suggestions" or "assistance" or any of the other purportedly "useful" things associated with this. I use Firefox for its privacy, security, and a lack of nonsense—and this fails all three of those criteria.

Whammie
Making moves

I don't want AI in anything I use. I have not seen a single use for AI where it hasn't immediately or eventually started screwing up and getting things wrong using more resources than getting it right would have doing it the current way.

row24
Making moves

I dont want easier access to AI, it already comes up with searches. Please dont add this. Im tired of seeing AI pushed on me, especially when it is historically exploitative and incorrect

JB-JT
Making moves

Please don't do this. I switched over to Firefox because Mozilla prioritizes privacy, it's why I've paid for additional services with Mozilla as well. Adding AI to Firefox undermines this. This will ruin Firefox's reputation, usability, and user count.

zetaa
Making moves

I will say this as politely as possible: for the love of Christ, DO NOT. NOBODY WANTS IT, EVERYONE HATES IT, AND YOU WILL BE LAMBASTED FOR THE DECISION IF YOU GO THROUGH WITH IT.

teacakes
Making moves

I don't find AI that helpful it's not as intelligent as the name implies. I would prefer Firefox not to include AI like this.

Sequoia
Making moves

Please, please do not. We need a space where AI is not. Please, please. Firefox is so good, don't ruin it for us.

jmicz3d
Making moves

Please do not add this feature.

WoodwardIII
Making moves

36 to 414 is quite a ratio. At this point, the only way I see this working as a feature is to have it be opt-in.

brhfl
Making moves

Truly hoping the Firefox team reconsiders this misguided attempt to hop on a trend. Those of us who care about Firefox as a keystone in browser diversity already tend to have lost a lot of trust in Mozilla over the years. Despite this, pushing AI into the browser - a piece of software that should be a lean, single-purpose tool - is kind of a staggering new low. I mean, we've expected it; Mozilla has been teasing this pivot for a while now, and we've all collectively said 'no, please just make a good browser.' But it's disheartening all the same. I've bailed on a lot of products this year for implementing AI. Even if it can be disabled, it's just a sign of a corporation that's utterly lost touch. I'm sure this will fall upon willfully-plugged ears, but please reverse course on this ridiculousness.

patriot718
Making moves

I think this a great feature - it's been very helpful. Excited the browser is continuing to try to add useful new features for the everyday user, looking forward to additional options for local AI processing and what not as well.

purringParadox
Making moves

Please don't add this. I would simply stop using firefox and find something else.

theTisch21
Making moves

Please don’t. If you really want to, please keep it to an opt-in extension.

aisteach
Making moves

please stop shoving AI down our throats. No one is actually asking for it. It is the opposite of useful and we're all tired of it. Mozilla is supposed to be our safe harbor. Please keep it so.

manofmold
Making moves

I have no functional use for AI. AI does not solve any problems I might have. I have never once considered using AI to solve any of my problems. There is no reason to hop on the AI grifter train.

Semirhage
Making moves

No thank you! There's enough garbage "AI" options on websites without integrating them straight into the browser. I don't need a learning algorithm telling me nonsense and diverting the teams focus and funds from features that are actually useful.