Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,169 REPLIES 3,169

mlschechter
Making moves

Do not do this. This is not an improvement; it is theft. Theft of peoples' creations, and theft of resources.

AI is not compatible with ethical computer use.

miah_lekjrs094r
Making moves

I created an account just so I could reply to this issue.

I've used Firefox since it was Netscape. I remember when Mozilla was formed. I used Phoenix, I used all the variations. I've been here since the start.

The recent trends of Mozilla leadership have been nothing short of appalling.

We do not want AI in the browser. We do not want ads or suggestions in the browser. We want a browser to view the Internet. We want a browser that isn't tied to tracking our every movement on the Internet in order to sell us something. If I wanted to support the ad industry I'd run Chrome.

Mozilla Firefox is literally one of 3 choices. You have Chrome, which most people are using, and tracks their every movement for Google. Safari, which is only a option if you live in the Apple walled garden. Mozilla Firefox, which is the last choice, and has the fewest users on the Internet, and with this change soon to be fewer. My goal is to continue using Mozilla Firefox as I believe in the goals of the Mozilla organization, especially this one "The things we create prioritize people and their privacy over profits.". But lately it seems that just like Google with "Don't be Evil" these are just words used to bring in users and not the companies actual stance.

AI is trash. AI hurts everybody who creates. AI hurts the planet. You have a choice, join the slop factory, or build a better future for the web.

Further, actually live the words you were built on. Trust and Privacy need to be at the forefront of your activities. Quit following the tech trends! Build good software and believe in your mission.

I agree with you completely and I swear I'm not trying to be a weird internet pedant, I just think it's very funny that Microsoft Edge (which of course has AI garbage in it now) is entirely omitted from this post as One Of The Browsers That Exists(TM). ROASTED. Cemented in its place as an eternal afterthought, as it deserves, lol

lt177
Making moves

Do not do this. AI is incredibly destructive for the environment, spits out total inaccuracies and is fed by stolen works.

Firefox was the final refuge against Chrome's search function dumpster fire.

Do Not Use AI.

Hiksti
Making moves

Definitely not a fan of the AI services. I haven't found them to be useful, and if they summarize a search I have to double check websites anyway to make sure the information is actually correct. And then what's the point of it being there at all? It's just not reliable.

Person4772
Making moves

As an average user of Firefox, why on earth would you do this. why would Mozilla see the outpouring of rage and anger towards generative AI of all types and then decide "You know what this browser that is designed for browsing the internet needs? A slew of unreliable and unethical AI Chatbots developed and designed by 3rd party corporations."?

ama-candeloro
Making moves

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! Firefox is supposed to be simple and private. AI is not. Don't do this.

guyhawkuwu
Making moves

absolutely not. i'm tired of ai eating creativity and hurting the planet, don't contribute to this nightmare.

Penndragon
Making moves

I am very much not interested in this feature and it being implemented with no way to completely and totally disable it would result in me looking for a new browser.

I am not against this being implemented, but it absolutely must come with a way to completely disable all AI features in a clean, easy-to-manage setting.

random_username
Making moves

I've been using Firefox because I value privacy, and AI is not that. Other commenters have already explained why. Please don't integrate it.

thelordofstuff
Making moves

I do not want AI integrations of any kind in Firefox. I don't think there is a good use case for such a feature and I have no interest in ever using it. Plain and simple, abandon this pursuit and do not implement it!

Joanie
Making moves

No, thanks! I don't see any reason for AI to be everywhere just because it's the new fad. I use Firefox to avoid this kinda stuff.

phoebe-dawn
Making moves

Ai will die quickly and it will be used just as much as Spotify dj feature which has a user base of five this is a dumb decision that will drive people away from this application

JumboDS64
Making moves

No on principle. No genAI. I use Librewolf, which IIRC is based on Firefox, and I don't want this kind of bull**bleep** to trickle down to me.

dhasenan
Making moves

The Mozilla manifesto (emphasis mine):

Our mission is to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. An Internet that truly puts people first, where individuals can shape their own experience and are empowered, safe and independent.

How does this square with making LLMs more accessible when they tell people to eat glue and do other dangerous things on the regular? This is a clear reduction in safety.

samalanders
Making moves

I understand that there's hype around putting AI in your stuff, but I really think that it would be detrimental if anything to use AI like chat GPT that can't site sources and encouraging people to potentially use that instead of an actually reliable source. As someone who has been using Firefox for a while now, I would ask that AI is not integrated into it in this way.

vee1
Making moves

hi! please don't add any AI functions! thank you!

Erufin
Making moves

NO, please don't add AI to Firefox. Just don't do it. People don't want it and don't use it. Especially since a huge part of your userbase chose Firefox as an alternative to other browsers because they hate what these browsers are doing. Please don't go in the same direction as them.

lemollie
Making moves

I would stop using Firefox in its entirety if any AI functionality, no matter if it is optional, is added.

Nemotaku
Making moves

NO. I will use any fork that don't have any AI BS in it. Stop.

FoolishOwl
Making moves

So-called "generative AI" is an ecological disaster. It endangers lives by displacing hard-won truth with nonsense, and it threatens to destroy fifty years of accumulated culture and knowledge by burying it in garbage. Where there is any thought put into the deployment of "generative AI", the intent is to force experts and creative people to accept starvation wages.

It is an absolute outrage that Mozilla has even considered engaging with "generative AI".

InsanelyADD
Making moves

Do NOT do this. AI slop is a trash fad tech companies want to force on the general public so they can squeeze more money out of people.

Annie
Making moves

Please do not. Having something without generative AI is amazing. And the controversy about stolen content is not something to get involved with. Also the environmental implications/damages are to grand for it to be worth it.

Hydraheadhunter
Making moves

I despise what has been over-hyped as so-called "AI" and I go out of my way to avoid it.

I block people who use it in their posts on social media.

I uninstall and refund software purchases if that software integrates "AI" that I cannot opt out off.

I use the manually selected MS paint version 11.2308.30.0 specifically because it is the newest version of the program available to me that does not include the 'AI-driven' co-creator feature tacked on.

I maintain a blacklist.txt of companies that will never receive my money or business ever again, and the only thing that will get a company added to that list faster than having a bad stance on so-called AI usage is being named by BDS as the target of a forever boycott.

I do not like AI, and not in the Sam Iamb's sense; no, my distaste for them is not so shallow as to come from belligerent naïveté.

I need you to understand that when I say I despise AI, it is because I have a full, well-rounded, and nuanced knowledge of what they are, how they are built, how they function, and what they they do. I know every fibre in their warp and weft, and I do not like it. The metaphorical green eggs and ham are green 'cause they were taken by the fungus. I want the current lot of 'em regulated into oblivion, and the next lot regulated into passing a god-damned ethics board's review.

So.

Thank you very much for making this feature explicitly opt in. I really appreciate you sparing me having to go through the trouble of opting out of this over-hyped nonsense for the *Check Blacklist.txt* at least twenty-seventh time this year.

If ever I need to opt out, I will do so, but duely note, I will be very cross about it; cross enough to look for an alternative browser to this, the browser I'm already using as an alternative to chrome.

kateryo
Making moves

Not even if you paid me. AI being used to help detect cancer early? Perfect. I have no beef with that. AI in the way that it keeps being shoved down our throats everywhere on the Internet? That needs to go die in a fire.

Zenith_Prism
Making moves

Honestly ai is already disruptive enough on the internet nowadays, with it even reaching irl, with various sources already studying the harm it causes to the environment. This feature is not a good idea.
Adding this even as an experiment to firefox would only cause problems, from annoying the user base here that most of clearly evade it's use as much as possible, to just cluttering what is a perfectly well done browser; simple and a better alternative to everything else in the market right now.
(And as an digital artist using this browser instead of others due to generative ais stealing pieces, i might need to start looking for a different browser if this is implemented in any capacity.)

LizLuvsCupcakes
Making moves

Absolutely not. NO. We have to get extensions to REMOVE ai features, why would you think that was a good idea?

lucideer
Making moves

To add some extra context to the many people here saying a very loud "NO" to this:

1. It doesn't matter if the feature is optional & opt-in

2. It doesn't matter if the feature is limited to "privacy-preserving" AI alternatives.

What matters here is that Mozilla & the Firefox team is loudly stating publicly "We support AI & believe in this technology". Given the environmental impact of AI, as well as the mass international creative robbery the tech has been built upon, this is a clear statement of Mozilla's lack of ethics, which greatly erodes trust. It demonstrates that the Firefox project no longer stands for what it once stood for.

It's also telling the top two integrations listes are OpenAI & Google Gemini - so there's really no question on where Mozilla's ethics lie.

rhinopotamus
Making moves

No. What? No. Gtfo.

DeaExMachina
Making moves

Absolutely not. I have yet to see any use of AI that actually benefited either me or society at large, and have seen hundreds of ways that it is making the world and my life worse. It actively angers me now wherever I see it. Don’t put AI in yet another place where it is unnecessary and unwanted.

CrystalineGeode
Making moves

I believe adding AI to Firefox is a very surefire way to lose users.

Cascadiarch
Making moves

holy **bleep**, no?? If you guys put anything AI-related at all in the official build, I'll immediately turn off updates and start holding out for the non-AI alternative to be inevitably developed

Guggs
Making moves

It would be nice if pressing Enter automatically sent our currently typed message to the bot instead of adding a new line (like Shift+Enter normally does). Right now you have to manually click the "Send" button next to the text field to send every message in the sidebar.

krapo
Making moves

What are you thinking ? AI is hell and must be stopped

Mordalo
Making moves

AI (or Machine Learning) has been around for some time, but it's just the latest "buzzword".  It's something the desperate are using to try and keep relevant.  I chose Firefox WAY back when in the Netscape days because it was different.

Firefox does not need AI.  Firefox needs to continue to keep on with what works and not succumb to whatever the latest fad is. 

Keep Firefox free from AI, and if you try and force it on us, someone somewhere will find a way to disable it.

emc13
Making moves

Please do not put any sort of AI in Firefox. Part of the reason I use Firefox is to AVOID all the AI nonsense that's popping up everywhere.

Cascadiarch
Making moves

holy **bleep**, no?? The second you guys add anything AI-related to the official build of Firefox is the second I turn off updates and start holding out for the non-AI alternative to be inevitably developed

sylvietttee
Making moves

absolutely not. have you lost your mind?

PhotonQyv
Making moves

No thanks, if I wanted 'AI' in my web browser I'd be using Chrome.

lcwebsxoxo
Making moves

Are you insane? No! Literally nobody wants this.