Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,167 REPLIES 3,167

Remie
Making moves

Made an account for the sole purpose of telling you to scrap this garbage ASAP. In the meantime I'll be researching alternatives to your browser.

bsideheart
Making moves

NO NO NO NO NO. no ai in my firefox please no

Funkythresher
Making moves

Please don't. I do not want AI in my web browser.

Olindrax
Making moves

Please don't add this to Firefox. AI is, at best, a parrot that takes a ridiculous amount of energy and stolen input from writers around the world to rephrase information; at worst, it uses that stolen input to make up convincing nonsense. Even ignoring the issue of training data, there is no use case I have seen for generative AI. And trust me, I've honestly looked for one.

You are adding a feature that will take up space in the GUI and confuse users, all for no benefit. Firefox doesn't need this. No program needs this!

epilogue
Making moves

hi, PLEASE do not do this, there is so much AI everywhere I do not need it infiltrating my web browser! It's so bad for the environment and literally just gets in the way.

altoonaxc
Making moves

Avoiding unwanted and unneeded "features" like this are part of why I use Firefox over a Chromium browser. It's just going to be a sad little appendix that needs removed as the AI fad collapses on itself.

Michael_Mock
Making moves

Please no, just don't do it.

Wolvereaux
Making moves

I'd rather not have AI features on firefox - tbh, a feature to turn off Google's automatic AI features would be stellar!

boldiegoldie
Making moves

no

apz
Making moves

I get it that jumping on the AI hype train can prevent the tech-FOMO for software developers, but in this case could we just have this feature as something that can be completely yanked out. I'd hate if I'd have to put one more thing on my long list of software and products I avoid so I don't have to deal with the force-fed AI "features".

bogwitch
Making moves

Don't. Honestly, can any of you just listen to your god **bleep** user base for once.

PlutonianCicada
Making moves

Absolutely not interested in AI, and disappointed to see Firefox employing it even as an optional feature. No one wants this.

cristianer
Making moves

Contrary to most here, I like AI in the sidebar. Just add the most used ones and better if they are open source like Llama. Thanks.

w200338
Making moves

Simply put: no.

mans
Making moves

This is great as long as we can turn it off when we decide to. Just implementing a feature and shoving it down our throats is not right, meaning when there is no turn off button for the feature.

Illian
Making moves

No, thank you.  Besides the issues with copyright and trademark from how they are resourced, their accuracy is negligible if not non-existent.

Did
Making moves

Yay. I just love having glorified spambots and misinformation machines shoved down my throat in literally every aspect of modern life. Get the **bleep** out of here with this tech bro dog**bleep**. What next, a firefox brand crypto scam? NFTs?

freezi-drink
Making moves

Please don't keep this. Firefox was one of the only places I trusted for reliable searching, and the addition of generative AI will make me stop using it.

p4riah
Making moves

the current implementation of 'AI' in tech is a total scam. it steals. it lies. it makes things up, but it also violates everyones privacy routinely at all levels. it is harmful in the extreme.

many of us use firefox to try and claw back some semblance of privacy in our digital life. integrating 'AI' tools into the platform, no matter how 'optional', is a complete betrayal of all of your users, the platform as a whole, and everything it stands for. the fact that there are people who work at firefox who would even contemplate such a blunder is itself a betrayal. that level of incompetence should result in firings at all levels.

the disengenuous and frankly lying responses being given by mozilla employees in this thread are incredibly disturbing. you cannot enhance privacy by integrating privacy destroying tech into the platform then 'offering alternatives'. there are no 'ai' models currently in existence that even come close to being compatible with mozillas mandate. this is clearly a top-down change being forced, and the gaslighting coming from mozilla staff in here is trying to manufacture consent for a feature no one wants.

the replies basically amount to 'everyone is using ai, we must expose our entire userbase to its privacy invasiveness in order to offer them alternatives that are better' while those alternatives dont even exist. its gaslighting corporate nothing-speak that translates to 'we are adding this no matter what for shady reasons, come up with an excuse that sounds plausible and make us sound noble and the users sound reactionary'. its completely transparent and frankly, insulting in the extreme. every single person in this thread is being openly insulted by mozilla.

leave the 'AI' garbage external. let idiots and grifters install it as extensions. the rest of us want nothing to do with this poison. you add it to the software and it will rot it from within. no one will ever trust it again. i will never install a version of firefox that contains this nonsense, and i will go out of my way to tell everyone and anyone to avoid FF like the plague.

WobblyPython
Making moves

No! God! Please! No!

erad
Making moves

I have been actively rejecting any service that uses AI. I won't hesitate to drop firefox too.

kaija
Making moves

This type of AI makes me sad and I think people who use it are stupid. If you make me look at another thing that pushes AI I will cry. (and look into new browsers.)

MelMellon
Making moves

BACK OUT OF THIS NOW. A huge part of Firefox's appeal in the market is that its the morally correct choice - not for-profit, no user data hoarding, no en**bleep**tification. Implementing AI technologies - built on stealing the work of others online - is a surefire way to burn bridges with a vast majority of your userbase.

aperkinsva7arp
Making moves

No.

Firefox is a perfectly serviceable web browser that I can use to find AI services if and when I want them.  There's no need for any kind of quick access - users can already bookmark sites and sort their bookmarks.

Also, AI trash SEO articles have already made web search practically unusable - I don't need a direct hotline to hallucinated "facts" in my web browser itself, the search engines have that part covered!

motioti
Making moves

I do not want added AI functionality in my browser. It has already infected most websites I don’t want it

cubiclegrrl
Making moves

Oh, HELLZ no.  Stop burning down the planet to shove unwanted bandwagon-jumping features down people's throats.  Cut it right TF out now.

rkcurtis2597
Making moves

I think you should reconsider this idea, and would in fact caution against introducing any sort of AI programs. Generative “AI” services may be popular right now, but the downsides far outweigh the benefits. First, the amount of water and energy required for them is simply unsustainable. The use of generative “AI” has been found to be worsening climate change. This alone leads many environmentally conscious individuals, myself included, to be strongly against it. This is in addition to the fact the “AI” in its current form is not at all intelligent (hence why I’m putting quotes around it). It hallucinates information that is often untrue simply based on sequences of words it thinks should go together, with no way of fact-checking it. This can endanger users who receive this misinformation, and is a serious issue that shows no sign of improving anytime soon. Finally, Firefox has always prided itself on being privacy-focused. Many users chose it for that reason. However, “AI” programs are known to invade the privacy of internet users, “training” themselves by scraping their writing, art, and personal information without permission. Allowing these programs to be part of Firefox is counter to the goals Mozilla has stated. For these reasons, I do not believe that environmentally wasteful, misinformation-generating, privacy-invading generative “AI” technology should be part of Firefox. 

TravestyHat
Making moves

God, no. Can you read the room? AI is a wasteful blight that makes search results worse.

Haleigh
Making moves

No one asked for this. No one wants this. Do not add it. Simple as that.

ETL
Making moves

NO AI. Mozilla, there are so many better features you could be developing besides jumping on the Misinformation Machine hype train.

To provide a bit nore substantive feedback: Have you noticed how every major company that introduced an AI feature had to almost immediately remove it, or heavily revamp and restrict it? GENERATIVE AI IS NOT RELIABLE. It cannot reliably summarize, it cannot reliably search, and it cannot reliably perform tasks. It's flashy and it's great at giving the appearance of sophistication, but it is absolutely money pit, both in terms of development, to try to make it do anything useful and stop producing "hallucinations" (giving a confident-sounding answer that is completely untrue), and in terms of environmental costs, as the server infrastructure required to process AI queries guzzles water and electricity.

Keep focusing on browser speed, security, and privacy. These are what draw people to Mozilla products, not hyped-up tech bubbles.

pompom8992
Making moves

Please no! I left Chrome for this reason!

Arina
Making moves

NO

rhonion
Making moves

do not want anything to do with AI in my browser, optional or otherwise

No3
Making moves

NO THANK YOU. DO NOT BECOME CHROME. I AM HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS BASIC ACCURACY, RESPECT OF AUTONOMY AND HUMAN RIGHTS IN GENERAL:

DO NOT! IMPLEMENT! AI!

Koryuu
Making moves

AI= bad

AI= inaccurate information

AI= bad for the environment

just no. No AI please

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, absolutely not! One of the main reasons I use Firefox is the lack of AI garbage! It’s a pointless, useless, environmentally damaging and entirely negative waste of time and effort, and if Firefox implements AI, I will immediately switch to a different browser service and will not return. Frankly, it’s disappointing that this is even being considered

aima123
Making moves

If Mozilla actually cared what its users thought, it wouldn't be trying this at all. Most people I know who use Firefox switched to it to avoid AI and everything wrong with other browsers. If Firefox jumps on the AI bandwagon like this (ignoring all the ethical and practical issues with AI), then myself and a bunch of other users will just jump ship to find another browser.

GrinningJackal
Making moves

Not only is the process of generating AI answers one which has vast and devastating ecological impact, but adding AI functionality beyond the "did you mean" spellchecker, helps confuse viewers and spread misinformation. If Firefox offers an AI option, I will be finding a new browser. I'm sure many others feel the same.

Charleson_Mambo
Making moves

NO!

I don't want AI on Firefox.

I will not use Firefox with AI anywhere on it.

goblinal
Making moves

No. It's not helpful, it makes everything worse.