Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,166 REPLIES 3,166

gsuberland
Making moves

Let me put this in as uncertain terms as I can: if you put LLMs in Firefox, I will find another browser. It's an ethical nightmare that produces noxious information-shaped sludge while burning a hole in the planet, and I want no part in it.

You need to get your priorities sorted. Stop chasing fads - especially fads that consume absurd amounts of energy. Focus on reducing Firefox's energy consumption, not increasing it. Focus on core browser performance and stability.

Good luck with finding an alternative. I can't think of any heavy hitters in the market that aren't already stuffed with it (Edge, Opera) or run by companies eager to stuff it in as soon as they can (Chrome).

We don't care. There's already forks of Firefox that have declared their intention to remove this **bleep**.

We, OVERWHELMINGLY, DON'T WANT THIS **bleep**.

Qantumentangled
Making moves

I use Firefox because I want to view web pages in an environment that I have control over. I like to know that Google isn't watching and selling every website I visit. Having my browser reach out to a cloud AI service without my explicit request is a breach of the trust I've put in Mozilla and the Firefox team regarding my privacy. I don't trust these cloud AI providers and I have no desire for the garbage output they provide anyway.

This sounds like a fabulous idea to put into an extension. Not only would it be entirely OPTIONAL and easily removed, it can also provide a great template for other extensions developers how to properly and safely implement AI connections.

Rallo
Making moves

Begging the Mozilla team to not ruin the last good web browser with this gimmicky garbage.

I do not want an overly engineered keyboard next word predictor in my web browser. I do not want a tool created using a language model trained on the works and posts of other people without permission, by scraping the entire internet and asking nobody's permission to do so. I do not want a tool that is accelerating climate change just to excite investors with a buzzword, like blockchain before it. I do not want a tool that does NOT belong in a web browser in the first place! What possessed you to even think this was a good idea?

I will never use it and I will almost certainly lose faith in Mozilla and abandon firefox after 7 years of using it since the release of Quantum if this happens. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me as a user and every firefox user I know.

5ynic
Making moves

No thanks.

LordOmlette
Making moves

Just to confirm, as long as browser.ml.enable and browser.ml.chat.enabled, no part of our Firefox experience will be tainted with this AI filth, is that correct?

nub235
Making moves

We don't want AI or bullshi studies we want privacy. Firefox hardening and librewolf shouldn't have to exist. But they do because stock Firefox is so unusable

SeaDragon
Making moves

No. This is a waste of money, resources and time.

No one but people in charge that think investors and donors to the project want that are asking for this.

If this continues I’ll migrate to Konqueror exclusively while Firefox rots with things that don’t matter for browsing.

NoAI
Making moves

Every day you use AI integration I look for a new browser. I've been using Firefox since beta.

The second something like Firefox without AI drops I'm GONE.

emgrasso
Making moves

I have been a faithful user of Firefox for many years, on my android devices (where I installed it and used it instead of the defaults) as well as my laptops. I am sorry that your infection by the AI/LLM scam will make it necessary for me to find an alternative.

NoAI
Making moves

I've been using Firefox since the beta version went out to the public. I'm looking for a new browser that's basically Firefox before AI.

spaceghoti
Making moves

Please make sure this remains always opt-in only. If I have to opt out of AI or don't have the option at all, then I will uninstall all Mozilla products and never go back.

Bobguthrie
Making moves

As a pro media artist, whereas AI is creating chaos therein, I would politely suggest "no".

Really, read the room before suggesting such an asinine move. Google Image search is already an useless tool with AI replacing actual imagery, why kneecap Firefox next?.

no_ai_in_ffox
Making moves

Don't want AI in my browser. It's destroying the environment, and haven't you ever heard of AI winter? You could be making the browser more memory efficient, faster, more customizable, more accessible, more protective of user privacy... instead you're chasing fads. Enough. No. Nobody wants this.

sotosendocadu
Making moves

Please, DON'T!

Thank you

KhalidD
Making moves

Hey! I am really excited to have AI integrated into Firefox! The only thing i feel that is missing is having the website the user is on as context for the prompt.

Amazing Work!

EcoHound
Making moves

No.

Do not.

It's a terrible idea because it is nothing but an extremely resource heavy plagiarism machine that's not even good at plagiarism because of all the wrong answers it gives and has already made finding accurate information online far more difficult ("How many 'r's in Strawberry" anyone?)

There are two (2) "r"s in "strawberry" 🙃

Druu
Making moves

ABSOLUTELY NOT, no way. I'll never touch your products again if you implement AI features.

jlw
Making moves

I do not want generative AI in Firefox. I see no benefits to a plagiarism lying machine.

rdgrpm
Making moves

**bleep** no, good God please do not. **bleep**ing hell.

peoplenotprofit
Making moves

This is terrible and irresponsible. No one who chooses to use Firefox wants these features. 😖

leVWM
Making moves

No, Thanks.

anonymous__user
Making moves

Mozilla's chronic inability to focus on actual pressing issues, feature requests, bug fixes, performance improvements etc. while instead misdirecting resources to bullsh1t projects like this is why Firefox is going downhill.

we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts

LMA-fvckin-O, you are not. If you actually were, we wouldn't be here in the first place.
I'm under no delusion that anything that anyone says in this thread will do anything; it's just a PR move for Mozilla to proclaim "we listen to our community," and it's apparent that this "AI" bullsh1t is going to be permanently implemented into future releases regardless of how many people object.
There is nothing that anyone can say here that will get Mozilla to stop with this "AI" bullsh1t while funneling all their money to the executives who don't do jack sh1t but lead it further into collapse while taking massive paychecks. I still think it is worth it for everyone taking the time here to hurl some sh1t at Mozilla for their complete dysfunction - it truly deserves it.

Firefox is falling to the very ensh1ttification affecting other browser(s) and products that users were using it to avoid.
I can only hope now that the Ladybird browser project takes off, and that we will have a more independent, user-respecting browser experience not ran by a totally dysfunctional corporation that egregiously mishandles its already-limited resources by creating "AI" nonsense that no one wanted.

Servo browser project also looking fairly promising, if we're looking for new players to save us this nonsense

darkrai
Making moves

Please, for the love of everything, do not do this nor implement any "A.I." Features into firefox. They are just overall so bad, super high power and water consumption, no real benefits, and the models are getting worse. Firefox is the one browser I, and many others, think of as the last bastion before greedy mega corporations. You don't have to follow every new trend, especially if it means angering most of your userbase.

nwloka
Making moves

Thanks for asking for feedback.

This seems mind-blowingly tone-deaf given your user base. Ideally, stay clear until the obvious ethical and legal concerns with LLMs  have been sorted out. Less ideal, but still potentially acceptable, release as an extension (though it will still leave the "taint" of you opting to support a hype that many feel is antithetical to the principles of your organisation).

oversquash
Making moves

What is wrong with you? Have you lost your minds?

doertedev
Making moves

I suspect there will be browser wars that include search engines within - but google showed us that the en**bleep**tifcation of search results gets accelerated, not improved, by AI. I encourage Mozilla as an org and it's trustworthy AI campaign. But a box with AI chatbots to select seems like you exchanged your product team with a nine year old or, in fact, let an AI **bleep**post your requirements. What a downer. I expected better of you.

Nemo2342
Making moves

Absolutely not. Don't need, don't want it, and I will look for another browser if this makes it into the main branch.

Lurks-no-More
Making moves

No, we don't want any AI services in Firefox. The current LLMs do not have any actual use cases, are environmentally wasteful, and ethically bankrupt due to the way they are trained. DO NOT add AI to Firefox. It would be the opposite of improving Firefox. DO NOT DO THIS.

shom
Making moves

Hello, Firefox team! I'm a big fan of your work. What Firefox represents as far as protecting privacy on the web and upholding open web standards is critical. Local-only "AI"/Language models are a great way of bringing new technological advances and showing a path forward for embracing technology without surrendering privacy, and I applaud your work in that area.

However, integrating large language models that are proprietary and also have been built by violating rights and licenses and require user data to be shipped off device, does not conform to the stated mission of Mozilla around privacy and user rights. Perhaps Mozilla can consider offering some of this functionality as extensions, as opposed to integrating them into the core browser.

The battle of market share cannot be won by ceding the moral high ground.

Better yet-- perhaps the people who actually want these features can simply ask their magical totally real superintelligence to build an extension for them, and save Mozilla the trouble. I hear AI is really good at programming. (the link is a PDF sorry LOL)

So can you not press anything and have no feature enabled on your browser. Dunno, seems really easy for me.

nope1
Making moves

what reason could mozilla possibly have to believe anyone who's installing firefox in the year 2024 is even remotely interested in AI. **bleep**ing embarrassing.

speaking of embarrassing, i feel it necessary to point out that the "bleep" was added by the site. understandable to not want profanity in a technical discussion but i would've much preferred a warning to having my comment rendered in the voice of a 5-year-old

gay_apostasy
Making moves

you act as if ai was a service when it is everything but. are you going to add cryptomining to the browsers next? what a joke. be ashamed of even considering to add this. if you want to improve Firefox, get rid of the advertisements and the "anonymous" *wink wink* tracking.

Get rid of the advertisements? But that would put the librewolf team out of work!

GoodGirlGang
Making moves

Keep this schlock out of your browser or I'm going back to vivaldi, because I liked that more but it started shoving AI garbage into its function and UI so I jumped back over to your browser.  Cut the crap and accept your losses on whatever bull**bleep** you invested into AI, the entire goddamn field's been poisoned by the generative AI sewage and its proximity to NFT bull**bleep** didn't help its cause either