cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Engine Customization

Kiwiroo
Making moves

Search engine options removed from list?  I had some custom search engines enabled on the windows version of firefox a few updates ago, but it seems they have been removed? There is a little more customization available on mobile, but why did custom and default searches lose their ability to be modified? I don't want to use Google, Bing, DuckDuck or any shopping services when I search, I want to use other search engines.  I want to search on Wiktionary by default, but I can't add that anymore either

2 REPLIES 2

crtdigmarketing
Making moves

Hello,

I understand your concern about the removal of custom search engines from Firefox and how it impacts your ability to set up specific search preferences.

Firstly, it's important to ensure you’re using the most current version of Firefox, as updates can sometimes introduce changes or fixes that might resolve the issue.

Here are a few suggestions that might help:

1. Check Search Engine Settings: Firefox's customization options can sometimes be hidden or changed with updates. Go to Firefox's settings and look under "Search." You should find options to manage your search engines. If your preferred search engine isn't listed, you might need to add it manually or check if it has been removed in recent updates.

2. Add Search Engines Manually: You might be able to add search engines manually by visiting the website of the search engine you want to add (e.g., Wiktionary) and using the "Add Search Engine" option that some sites provide. This option is often found in the search bar or search settings of the website.

3. Use Search Engine Extensions: Consider using a Firefox extension that allows you to add and manage custom search engines. Extensions like "Search Engine Manager" can provide more flexibility in customizing your search preferences.

4. Check Firefox Forums and Support: Sometimes, other users might have faced similar issues, and solutions or workarounds might be available in Firefox's support forums or community discussions. It's worth checking out forums like MozillaZine or the Firefox subreddit.

5. Feedback to Mozilla: If you find that recent updates have removed or altered functionality in a way that negatively impacts your experience, providing feedback to Mozilla through their support channels can help them address the issue in future updates.

I hope these suggestions help you get your preferred search engine settings back. If you have further questions or need more assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Frank.
Podio CRM