cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screenshot file naming is now broken

Picard12
Making moves

Hi, Screenshot file naming in Firefox is now broken for me. The lack of exact timestamp (hour, minute, second) makes taking several scrrenshots of the same page a hurdle and requires manual change of the name in order not to overwrite the previous file.

Current naming scheme: Screenshot 2024-06-20 a[...].png

Previous naming scheme: Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 04-04-22 Glowna _ X.png

Please bring back the old one with the exact timestamp.

Thanks,

Mikolaj

7 REPLIES 7

I think we are talking about the built-in browser Screenshots feature here, not the functionality in devtools. So, the best support page is https://support.mozilla.org/kb/take-screenshots-firefox.

Hello

Of course, Mozilla Connect is a collective space where we can share comments and ideas.

jscher2000
Leader

The file names had to be shortened to work around a problem with overly long names being unsave-able. For example, when I go to save a screenshot of this page:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 13-22-25 Screenshot file namin[...].png

(That's a total of 65 characters, which seems unnecessarily short.)

I don't know why the [...] comes so soon on yours. Are you are saving the file in a deeply nested folder? I wonder whether the entire path to the file is taken into account when shortening the name.

sfoster
Employee
Employee

We had a number of reports like this, which ended up being tracked and ultimately fixed by bug 1902341. That fix should be in our current release version of Firefox, so I'm curious to know if anyone is still running into the problem after they updated.  

Yes, the problem does still exist. I have reverted to 126.0 to allow screenshot downloads with full filenames. I never had any problems with long filenames prior to 127.0  Glenn

sfoster
Employee
Employee

To be clear, the issue described here is a bug, not an intentional change in how we create those filenames. We did need to fix a few things here to ensure the filename is saveable on all the platforms, and it is possible we over-corrected and need to do more work here still.