cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible update bug in Firefox 129.0.

duglissrt
Making moves

In the search box in the address bar I can't select a different search engine. Nothing happens when I click on one of the listed search engines. I can't find anything in settings to correct this. This only started happening when Firefox updated to 129.0 last week.

14 REPLIES 14

Curmudgeon1
Making moves

Same problem with 129 installed this PM. Can someone please report this? Very annying!

fennegie
Making moves

I have the same issue. I hope this resolved asap.

mfanigliulo
Making moves

Same problem after update to 129.0

Curmudgeon1
Making moves

Problem persists after updating today to 129.0.1. Non-techie here. Could someone with the necessary tech skills file a bug report to fix this search issue? Pretty please!

mfanigliulo
Making moves

I confirm. the problem persists even after the update to 129.0.1

duglissrt
Making moves

Update to 129.01 has not corrected this bug with the address bar search box.

Duriel7
Making moves

Same freaking problem.

Beginning to be fed up with Mozilla's last 20 updates bringing a ton of new bugs and unwanted features... cannot empty search the bar to make Google appear, cannot switch engines from the bar... had to check false the option to be able to empty search from the search bar in a new tab.

This is beginning to be a clown show. Still the best browser out there but, I'll have to code my own fork of Firefox if this continues. And I don't have the time to so it's infuriating.

@Duriel7 wrote:

Same freaking problem.

Beginning to be fed up with Mozilla's last 20 updates bringing a ton of new bugs and unwanted features... cannot empty search the bar to make Google appear, cannot switch engines from the bar... had to check false the option to be able to empty search from the search bar in a new tab.

Is that the preference that controls whether Firefox accepts input in the new tab page search box versus sending it to the address bar, browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar ? That's an interesting workaround.

Hi,

Yes it is I believe, don't remember exactly what it's called.

Before 100 or something in those times, I just opened a new tab, hit Enter in the search bar and Google page appeared. Then after an update like 3 to 4 years ago, so it may have been even before Quantum released, this feature was cut. I just learned, 2 weeks ago, that it was in fact hidden behind this config control line.

Now I use this again, but I want to sometimes switch to some other search engines, for example directly to some wiki or other internal search engines that I've added.

rift221
Making moves

i have the same problem. when I search something in the address bar with google nothing appeared

It would appear Mozilla is still not aware of the issue. Anyone here know how to send them a bug report? Obviously they don't read this site! 😞

@rift221 wrote:

i have the same problem. when I search something in the address bar with google nothing appeared

There is a recent issue with Avast Web Shield preventing some Google searches. See:

(Avast Forums) avast free web shield is blocking google!

If you do not use Avast or AVG software, this probably is not relevant to you.

jscher2000
Leader

@duglissrt wrote:

In the search box in the address bar I can't select a different search engine. Nothing happens when I click on one of the listed search engines.

Hi, do you mean the URL bar, or the optional short search bar?

For the URL bar, clicking the icon of a search engine should add its name as a filter at the start of the bar. Then after you enter your query and press Enter, Firefox should send the input to that search site.

For the short search bar, clicking the icon normally submits the search. Before Firefox 128, you could leave the bar blank and submit an empty search to navigate to the search site. That isn't working any more and there is a very busy thread objecting to that change: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/independent-search-box-toolbar-no-longer-lets-you-hit-ent...

Is the problem with either of those things?

The problem is with the optional short search bar. It's annoying since you can't quickly switch search engines anymore.