cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had issues with Bookmarks disappearing?

louiseschmitt00
Making moves

I have user who lost all of her bookmarks last February . Today, she noticed that her bookmarks have reverted back to the bookmarks she lost. Could any updates impact this?

4 REPLIES 4

jscher2000
Leader

Occasionally, users who've had their systems for a long time will have 64-bit Firefox in the 32-bit Program Files (x86) folder, where it replaced 32-bit Firefox, but then an updater gets confused and creates a second installation in the 64-bit Program Files folder. Firefox will use different profiles (data folders) for each installation. It's worth checking whether there is a dual installation, and choosing one or the other to make the default browser.

To check possible alternate profiles, see the steps in: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/recover-lost-or-missing-bookmarks

liumingedwin
Making moves

I've met the same problems since a year ago, but during syncing. I logged in my Mozilla account in Firefox Developer Edition, Firefox Nightly, as well as Firefox Mobile at the same time. The bookmark data have gone. Looking forward to a solution.

@liumingedwin wrote:

I've met the same problems since a year ago, but during syncing. I logged in my Mozilla account in Firefox Developer Edition, Firefox Nightly, as well as Firefox Mobile at the same time. The bookmark data have gone. Looking forward to a solution.

So just to be sure, unlike the original scenario, your bookmarks have not magically returned.

Assuming this just happened recently, have you tried using Restore on the Firefox that has the most data? The Restore menu lists the backup dates and number of items in the backup, which should give you a sense of how far to "roll back." Because you would be rolling back, if you want to create a snapshot of what you have now for future reference, you can export a bookmarks.html file and just open that as a web page.

If your Restore menu doesn't list older dates at all, perhaps you are using a different profile than normal. I suggest a restart of your system first to free file locks, then check the section of the following article on using about:profiles to check whether you can regain access to an older profile.

If that doesn't help, could you post this problem on the Mozilla Support site? They have a team of support volunteers to troubleshoot malfunctions with your currently installed version of Firefox, while this site is focused on idea submissions for future versions of Firefox (looking ahead anywhere from 8 weeks to many months). Here's a link to the new question form (for Windows/Mac/Linux): https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ 

it seems that it solved. Thanks:)