Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost text in PDF viewer

HelloMoz
Making moves

Many PDF have the text overprinted to the rendering:

HelloMoz_0-1723439189719.png

Seems to be especially PDF from academic publications, e.g. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/epdf/10.1021/jm100020w (open access, not paywalled)

Does only happen when PDF is opened within the website, not when downloaded and PDF opened as file within FIrefox.

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3

jscher2000
Leader

The code websites use to render PDFs as HTML and CSS is similar to the code Firefox uses, but one notable difference is that add-ons are not allowed to inject code into Firefox's built-in PDF viewer. So one possible explanation might be an add-on that modifies styles or colors on websites. There is a transparent text layer that is aligned on top of the background image to allow Find in page and selection/copy. If I use the Page Inspector to make the transparent text visible and turn off the precise placement of the text layer (attached), then I get an appearance similar to your screenshot. Can you think of any add-ons you might have installed that could be making those changes?

HelloMoz
Making moves

I couldn't identify an add-on causing this in Troubleshoot mode, the only add-on in question could be an ad-blocker, but that didn't change anything. However, the Firefox in question is an ESR (115.14.0esr), so probably that'll be the reason. Thanks!