cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking Mozilla to release a statement to address Mozilla discourse which is in disrepair

Mozillan
Making moves

Please read this: https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/email-is-displayed-by-default-for-the-new-account/92266?

I got an email from Chris Hayes, and it begins with this: "This is a friendly email to make you aware that your personal email address is currently visible to the whole internet via Mozilla's Discourse forum. It will show up in Google Search results."

How did he find my email? This is a good question! Now primary emails are honestly not a horrendous deal. They get breached all the time. But the lack of response to this for years is what's disturbing.

I went to FF support so you don't have to and have reported the initial response: "the best point of contact regarding these follow-ups, would be here: https://connect.mozilla.org/"

Well, I disagree, but have come here anyway. I have asked to escalate my concern and look for an official response to addressing this really stupid problem.

Please join me in demanding an official statement that will address issues including but not limited to

1) Why no response was given for so long

2) Who/how/what was responsible for Mozilla discourse

3) What was done about initial concerns over this

4) WHEN will the issue be fixed or a timeline provided

Is it a big deal? Sort of (to me). It's not as bad as a data breach. But the continued inaction over years and years is the issue.

Mozilla today acknowledged to me directly that a community leader was made aware of this but did not make any further acknowledgements.

Also thanks to hayes.software

I donate money to Mozilla each month because Firefox is still the most important browser on the internet, but will probably penalize them for X number of months as a way of registering my protest over this.

1 REPLY 1

qstn_mrk
Making moves

I don't know if this is still the case.  I lost all my data with a hardware failure.  A few years back there were censorship complaints posted concerning those who lost ability to post.  Yahoo was owned by Verizon at that time.  There are many ongoing complaints about this because of the violation of rights as stated in the US Constitution, but media companies have gotten around it by claiming without censorship they are open to lawsuits (convenient excuse).  Most are too busy to lodge complaints, but we'll all eventually suffer if they don't because of the value to everyone for those opinions that are particularly helpful to everyone.

I know this seems to be asking a lot, but Yahoo should be the one to provide the reasons for this.  Not some disconnected forum.